Thread: Sunrise Over Grand Canyon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunrise Over Grand Canyon

Attached Images Attached Images

A while back I posted a few shots of the sunset we witnessed in Grand Canyon. This is the sunrise we were treated to. This isn't a man made overlook. We stopped at one of the turnaround spots and I made my way through the brush to the canyon's edge. The color in the clouds stopped about 50 feet from my vantage point here. (My wife took a shot of the sky with with her cell phone while sitting on the road where the clouds were lit up in pink--oh well, that's how it goes) Luckily there was a great vantage point here with something to use as a foreground. It was, however, very steep. I fully expected to be underwhelmed before we got to Grand Canyon due to all the buildup you see and read about it, but it literally took my breath away when I first saw it. The scope has to be seen to be believed. I wish we could have stayed here longer. I processed this one as I did the previous shot-- using blend modes. I added a little contrast to this one using levels and curves adjustments. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
    D3S
    16-35 @ 16mm
    ISO 200
    f/14

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty awesome Lyle... Love the majestic scene, the colours and the clouds are spectacular without being over done. Very well captured and blended. If it were mine I might try a little more mid tone contrast and a bit of extra sharpening, not convinced, but it may lift it a little more in the hazy mid section...

TFS

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seems like you are really getting the hang of that blending, Lyle! Great dynamic range, very good detail and a spectacular sky, even without the pink. The oranges/yellows in the sky look a little hot, but there's probably no detail in them anyway. Very well done, a good memory to keep from your adventure!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice one Lyle and I also think it needs a bit more contrast.
    I am a big fan of Mark Metternich, he lives in Oregon.
    He and Marc Adamus (also from here) are setting the standard for the young Turks in Landscape photography these days, IMO.
    A great view you had.
    I might also tone down the yellow just a bit in the sunset.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done. Nice vantage point - there aren't a lot of places that the river is that visible from the south rim (normal viewpoints)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the feedback. Agreed on adding extra contrast in the middle. I lost the yellows and oranges in conversion to jpg- I was on the extreme edge before converting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You echoed my thoughts exactly on Adamus and Metternich.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely view/comp here Lyle, with a decent sunset and overall good processing (you are coming along nicely, young Padawan! )
    I would agree however this lacks some tonal contrast, especially in the midtones. Add a layer of LCE or even Nik Tonal Contrast and see how you like it?
    Colour-wise just the right amount of reds and purples for this kind of scene/light combo.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE