Thread: Long-billed dowitcher (?)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-billed dowitcher (?)

Name:  _MG_8790.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  215.6 KB

Unsure about this one (both the ID and the image). I always prefer images where we can see the whole bird, yet I like the relax feeling of this one. I'm also unsure about the crop. I tried to include the complete head reflection (although it is definitely not a major component of this image) along with as much of the ripple as possible, which resulted in alot of empty space.

7D, 100-400 @ 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/1600. Flash -2EV. Crop is about 75% of the original.

As for ID, not shown on this image, but it has yellow legs (though not as bright as yellowlegs'). I may post other images if ID is unclear. It was hanging with a bunch of lesser yellowlegs (and maybe a few greaters, unsure again). It was taken in Northeast Alberta, mid-october.

As usual, thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me, it's a very pleasing image, with exposure and DOF just right. I can't help with the ID, but I don't mind the missing legs, just for a change. The interesting ripples ground the image well, and the reflection is very nice.

My only thought would be to lighten the darker area of ripples at the left edge.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Diane that is a nice image. Maybe it could take just a touch more sharpening.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll play around the left ripples and with sharpening when I get back home to see how it turns out.

Hopefully someone will chime in to help on ID. This one is a tough call (well, to me at least).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful angle and composition. probably needs a little sharpening of the bird. would remove the brown area in the background over the birds back
    Maybe crop a little from the rt side
    thanks for sharing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi P-A.... Looks good for a LB Dowitcher to me! Possibly a HY Fall bird.... slim orange back feather edges without much internal marking.... Breast still appears "buffy enough" for the LBD. Fall birds and youngsters are always a challenge to ID!
    OK... so, to your image...Love the angle and "serenity" ... at first I was unsure of the bill touching water... but actually, it works great. Maybe the bird could use a teensy bit more "punch"? Not sure. I wouldn't change anything about the water... it's nicely balanced right and left.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sandy. I made a post in the "Avian: All about birds" section and Declan came to the same conclusion, using pretty much the same clue (the feather edges). http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...115169-ID-help

Images in the other thread are not processed other than sharpening. Maybe I should have gone lighter on Nik Tonal Contrast and just used the "basic" contrast slider to give it more punch. I'll give it a try.

8. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool! Thanks, P-A.... I'm still 2/3 birds (although not a "birder") and only about 1/3 photographer...looking to move that to about half-n-half... or so. Will look forward to your RP!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Image.
    I noticed the dark patch in the background above the bird but don't find it too distracting. I wouldn't change anything apart from maybe a little sharpening as others have already mentioned.