Thread: Nikon D-7100 autofocus problem....Help!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon D-7100 autofocus problem....Help!

I just got my new D-7100 in the mail today and believe I may have an autofocus problem. The focus spot seems to jump around . I cannot lock it into the middle and when I take the lock off , I should be able to move the focus spot with the multiselector dial. I cannot. I have tried the camera in manual mode as well as aperture priority and I have also tried selecting all 3 AF modes.....AF-A, AF-C, and AF- S.
    Can anyone help? Is this some new autofocus system I do not understand ( I love my D- 300 and have never had this problem) or is it a defective camera?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you have the camera in AFC, what setting do you have? It sounds like the 3D or the AUTO setting which will jump from focus point to pocus point

If you select the centre, 9, 21 or 51 it should not move about

Also you do not mention if this is through the viewfinder or the Live View?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good advice from shane
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shane....When I am in AF-C I am set to manual or Aperture Priority...I am not in Automatic mode and I see no 3D anywhere in the menus. I have 51 pts selected. I cannot lock the focus point nor can I move it around when the lock is off. I am viewing through the viewfinder. Help?????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok i meant that there is a focus mode which is auto o think, not the shooting mode

when you have the AFC mode on, press the left focus button and roll the dial to change from 51 down to 21, 9, or S (single point)

it should stop doing that

If that does not work try using a lens combo with minimum aperture above f5.6. That should not allow the use of 3D so it should stop

if that does not solve the problem you may have a problem

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shane....AF-C on but i don't know what you mean by the left focus button. ...When I use the menu to change down to 21 pts ( the only choice)......the focus point still jumps around and will not lock. I did have success with attaching a 1.4 Tc . I got a single focus point that I could move around with the multiselector but i sure would like tp be able to have a single focus point without the TConverter. Would you send this camera back?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob I had the same problem until good friend and mentor Paul Lagasi helped. His solution which worked for me was to press in the focus button on the front left of the body just under the lens release button when on AF mode. This opened up a screen on the rear viewer. Using the main data dial move the focus point where you want it. Then move the rear focus dial around the OK button to lock position.

I am not very good with the tech aspects and wording so I hope this reply helps/makes sense.

Rick

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rick...Thank you so much! It worked perfectly! I like to shoot birds in flight and I prefer one focus point rather than many. I feel like there is less chance of one of those many hitting on the bg and throwing off the focus. You have ended many hours of frustration for me. I was getting ready to send the camera back.
    BTW...what has been your experience with the D-7100? Do you like it?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob you are most welcome.

I very much like the new D-7100 although as a relative newbie to DSLRs I have not had it long enough to fully utilze/understand its capabilities. Quite an upgrade from the D-5100 for me.