Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Antarctic Paradise

Attached Images Attached Images

D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 28mm, hand held
    ISO 400; f/7.1, 1/2000 sec
    Standard CS6 adjustments with Nik Color Efex Pro Detail Extractor

I cropped a little off the top of this image from Paradise Bay, Antarctica, but it is otherwise as framed.

Your comments and suggestions are as always most welcome.

Norm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully seen image, Norm!
    I think this one could use a bit of contrast enhancement with some additional masking.
    Also, the bright white coastline on the right really pulls my eye away from the berg -- I know that wasn't your goal , but the eye moves to the areas of the greatest contrast after viewing the rest of the image.
    Also, I note some funny lines in the clouds middle top and to the right -- either posterization effects, or (I hope not) some sort of fluid cleaning marks on the sensor (I have seen similar effects). They become more prominent with the contrast increase -- but you will see them in your original as well. (Maybe they really are some sort of cloud lines? I don't know....)
    Should you like to see the masking effect - send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
    Hope you don't mind - here's the results of a quick and dirty set of changes - your changes on the raw/tif would be superior to the jpg as source material.
    Name:  normdulak1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  257.4 KB
    Here is your original image, untouched, with a second layer blended as linear burn to make the lines show up in the sky. I suspect posterization on conversion
    Name:  normdulak2.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  10.6 KB

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Norm - I had the same initial thoughts about contrast and the brightness of the rhs pulling the eye. Don has done a nice job with the rp. I didn't notice the lines until he pointed them out but am now curious as to what is causing them.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don.

Thanks for your comments and the repost. Toning down the bright coastline area might be a good idea, although I think that the sun caught that area when the exposure was made, and my post accurately reflects what I saw .

As for lines in the clouds, I don't see them on my monitor or in a 10 x 15 inch print. Perhaps you are right that there may have been an effect in converting for web posting. But I have never used a cleaning fluid on my sensor!
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 11-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Norm,

very nice scene and good suggestions above about the bright areas. I took again the image in CS6 and tried my luck with the darks again in the iceberg. I think the detail extractor pushes here a bit to much.
    When I lighten the dark areas, the blue ice in the iceberg really starts to shine, well on my screen.
    Give it a try, if you like my RP. I pushed quite a lot, but did nothing for the highlights! As well did only selective brighten up the darks in the iceberg, no sky or anything around. Added a Mid-tone contrast at the end.
    WDYT?

PS This image as well has no color profile assigned! Check in the Wildlife Form, right on top Steve K. posted a very nice how to. We all went this way, me too

Have a great eve

Ciao
    Anette

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Norm, good suggestions already mentioned, I like what both Anette and Don have done with the image and lean a little more towards Anette's repost as I too like the brighter look to it. Another lovely scene, but I do prefer the previously posted image a little more than this one. Nice work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the comp Norm, I tend to like Don's repost, but I also tend to like dark and moodier images. I'd love to see more from your trip.