Thread: Vulture feasting on wildebeest

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Vulture feasting on wildebeest

Attached Images Attached Images

This was at the Masai Mara, Kenya. Migration was in full swing & there was food in surplus for everyone! All at the expense of the poor wildebeests.
    Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Exposure (1/800)
    Aperture f/8.0
    Focal Length 700 mm
    ISO Speed 250
    Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very graphic image Sanjeev and it tells a real story. As far as the crop goes I would consider cropping off the left to reduce the amount of space upper left. This would crop the leg some but I tried it and for me is seemed to work. I think this crop would balance the image better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on an iPhone today, traveling, and can only see a small image. It looks very interesting -- the story of life and death in Africa. It seems good technically from what I can see here -- I'll leave it to others to comment on that aspect. I could wish the camera had been a little more to the left, but I realize that may not have been possible. From this position, if the camera had been pointed just a little to the right it would be better, and John's suggested crop would help do the same thing.

It looks like you found some good subjects on this trip. I hope to see more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seeing it on a bigger screen now, I'm surprised at the limited DOF at f/8. Going to a higher ISO would have allowed a smaller aperture, bringing the wildebeest's head more into focus -- maybe f/11 or even 14 would have been better. A full-frame camera inherently has less DOF than a crop sensor for the same composition of a scene at the same aperture. ISOs up to about 1600 are generally good with the 5D3 as long as you don't need to bring up underexposure.

Having a meaningful foreground element OOF is often not the best thing. When grass goes OOF in the FG that can be good to simplify the image, but here, I think many people would want the head a little sharper, as his plight is also a major part of the story. Or else make the DOF even shallower, so the focus is more intentionally on the vulture.