Thread: Gustav Adolf Land, Spitsbergen, Norway

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gustav Adolf Land, Spitsbergen, Norway

Attached Images Attached Images

A happy landing in Gustav Adolfs Land. This was a Landscape stop on our trip in the Arctic. I was glad that clouds have been in the sky to do my LE. We have been very fortunate with the weather on this trip. 70% of the trip we had sun with a few clouds.

My set up started with, find a good spot! Since we had to stick with one of the 2 guides & rifles, I had 3 options! Go to the right with one group or to the left with the other group! But there was the middle just for me. Have been alone there and found that spot. All others about 1/2 a mile away to the right & left. No rifle with me!!! Rifle was for Polar Bears, just in case.
    I put up my tripod in normal position. The wind was so strong that the tripod vibrated like nuts, no go that height. I ended up to lay flat on my stomach, tripod as flat as possible, my bag used for wind cover to cover the camera from the wind.
    I used a Lee BIg Stopper for this one.
    LR5 adjustments as usual, final touch, Mid-tone a tad in PS6 as well sharpening in PS6

1DX ISO 50 ( L ) If I could go lower with ISO, I would!
    f/22
    Exposure: 186 seconds

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful scene, even better with the unusual low viewpoint. Very nice blur in the clouds and water. And the best part is that you survived!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this Anette. The light is stunning. Love the patches of sunlight catching various objects scattered around the fore and mid level areas. The foreground rock really helps draw you into the image. Very creative well done

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anette, not the shot I was thinking off, LOL. I did warn you that firearms are a requirement!

Good call Carl on the critique, as you say, the light is stunning and obviously a key component in Landscape images, however i'm sure the regulars will raise some good points & thoughts. I also like the 'wispy/soft/colouration of the clouds. For me the sea in the BKG does look a little too smooth, did you add anything here, thought there might be some tonal structure, albeit a little? I don't know why, but I keep wanting to pick the 'anchor' stone up and just move it so the space below & to the RHS is more equal, perhaps it's been too long a day?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful surreal image here Anette, great placement of the foreground rock to anchor and draw the viewer into the image . Beautiful light, and dragging the shutter produce the out worldly sky and silky smooth water.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is pretty cool, Anette.
    The extremely slow SS had a very nice effect on the sky. It made the lake (or ocean?) appear a bit flat or fake to me though.
    Nice FG rock anchor.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Annette

Brave girl... although I bet a 1/2 mile run would come pretty easy if a polar bear turned up..! Great story.. Agree its beautiful light and the clouds are very dreamy..

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello everybody,

thank you so much for your kind comments.
    1/2 mile run in Muckboots would have not helped for a fast escape. Also, never run away from an animal!!! I would have stand my ground and slowly would have moved backwards, Muckboots would have made sure of that!

Tech wise, Big Stopper was used, since I did want to smooth the sky/clouds and water of the ocean in the BG. The ocean had enough waves shown to be smooth. There is absolutely no LR/PS magic in my image to smooth something. There are people out there doing all afterwards in PS, but honestly, with a shutter speed of 1-4min, I think I am faster done and much easier
    I was tempted to even double my filters with another Stopper. But thought, that might takes to long. I did a few others LE so 150 - 240 sec for each image had to the job. Worked out
    If I would have not used the Big Stopper, you would have a view of this, me kneeling or standing and between...gone with the wind

Have a great day

Ciao
    Anette

PS Steve K the big rock has been called by a friend, that it looks like a Roesti That Roesti is my lead into the Landscape, no need to move or lift for me. Way to heavy! Btw, in one Landscape image I have a sequence of a PB just catching a seal, but to far away. THought it is a dust bunny, till I zoomed in to 200%, than saw what it is. What a nice surprise
    Last edited by Anette Mossbacher; 10-10-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anette - beautiful colors and sky. I like the fg rock as an anchor. I do feel that the lake looks too smooth so as to be unnatural. BTW there is no way on our boat that they would have allowed us to be a 1/2 mile from the armed guides on a landing.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,

thanks so much. According the guides. There was one behind me about 100m away at the boats with a rifle.
    The water in the BG, there is nothing I can do about it. That's how it comes out with 186 or with 240 sec.
    The wind was very very strong, means lots of waves. The zodiac landing was a very wet landing as well. Wave splashed from the back inside while we climbed out.
    The only thing I can do is take out more blue. Will give it a try.
    Thanks so much

Have a great day

Ciao
    Anette

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just great for me, Anette! Love the gorgeous light, the strong and solid comp and the smooth effect of the big stopper here...seems like a wild place and it was!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anette, love the blurred effect of the clouds and the low perspective you chose for this image. The low angled lightiing is perfect too. Beautiful work!