Thread: Hi Ma, how does my hair look tonight? Crested Guineafowl, Tembe Elephant Reserve, South Africa

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hi Ma, how does my hair look tonight? Crested Guineafowl, Tembe Elephant Reserve, South Africa

Crested Guineafowl, Tembe Elephant Reserve, South Africa

I really like this shot because it gives the bird an almost human character, with the head feathers looking so much like hair. As my 2nd posting, I would appreciate comments.

Settings:
    Canon EOS 7D
    Canon 500 F4
    Exposure 1/320
    F-stop f/7.1
    ISO 1000
    Post shot editing – cropping and light enhancement

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is wonderful! Many people will want to see the face, but this is about the hairdo and I think this is a great "pose" to show that. The important details are very sharp; the beak is outside the DOF, but it is secondary to the subject and isn't a big problem for me. A smaller aperture might have made it sharper but then you would have sacrificed either SS or would need a higher ISO, which might hurt the blacks. I think you have a nice compromise here. It might be possible to sharpen the beak a little more on the JPEG.

The PP looks excellent to me, with very nice detail in the darks and the grays of the neck. The BG has a higher exposure than the bird, which looks as though it was in the shade, but that doesn't bother me -- it helps the bird stand out as the subject. It doesn't need to be an environmental portrait.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with most of what Diane has said.

I like the pose as well and don't think that any animal has a rule to always have an exact pose. I have many photos that I purposely shot for something like this, it's about the atmosphere, mood, and hair!!!

The green stem on the left bothers me near the face, maybe burn down a little bit.

Also think you could play with the comp and move the bird more to the right in the frame.

A little eye doctor work and I think it's a winner. Nice shot. I had no idea these existed. My neighbors have "normal" guineas, I like this hairdo better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this perspective. The hairdo is definitely the subject of this image therefore the bird looking away does not bother me at all. In fact I rather like the presentation. The only thing I would like to see is the bird moved to the right in the frame So that it will not be as centered And because it is looking to the left so it helps to give it more space on the left to look into.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Barry,  The shot really works.   It' a non traditional comp, but as others have mentioned it's about the hair, and you displayed it well.  Good job
    Robert Kimbrell

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This photo is very nice :D. I think more reduction could be applied to the background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've created an image that is fun to view. It is interesting and different. I think Marina's remarks on compostion would improve it.