Thread: Three Amigos

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Three Amigos

I wonder what people think of this image?

Techs:
    Canon 550D, Canon 100-400mm L IS USM
    ISO 800, f/8 at 1/500sec
    Focal Length: 275mm

Taken from Mankwe Bird Hide in Pilansberg, I was fortunate enough to capture this image of the three pied kingfishers in a row.

Post Processing
    Processed in Lightroom (lens correction, sharpen, curves, minor adjustments, black and white, contrast)
    Added the branch towards the bottom in Photoshop as the original image was to tight and I felt it needed a little room.

Taken on an overcast day.

I was taking photos of the kingfishers who frequent the branches outside this hide and got lucky that I was facing the right direction and at the right area to capture the three pied kingfishers as they complained at another one which had landed a little below them.

Let me know what you think?

Original image can be found here:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Last edited by TimothyGriesel; 10-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not normally a fan of b&w bird images (except perhaps Black-and-white Warbler) but I have to say this one woks remarkably well. Very artistic, well balanced comp (except that the left-most bird's tail is clipped at the edge), and the simplicity of it all is appealing. If anything I'd probably darken the eyes...the two lower birds especially. Well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! But since it's so crowded on the left, I'd consider cropping a lot of the empty space on the right, probably removing 1/4 of the width.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the empty space on the right and the B&W and the three perfect head angles. Wow! Clipping the tail of the left-most bird is a mortal sin.... It could easily be repaired.

All in all, spectacular!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I LOVE this image, and I wish that we saw more photographers trying this kind of thing (myself included)!!!! I just brought it into PS and cropped from the right. I used the rule of thirds and cropped with the tip of the right bird's beak at the criss-cross on the bottom right. It still leaves you a lot of white/room on the right, just not quite as much Well seen/executed/processed!!!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook