Thread: Atlantic Puffin on Skokholm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Atlantic Puffin on Skokholm

Already looking forward to going back next year, such wonderful little birds. Fast as lightening though when it comes to in-flight shots .. more on that in a future post :)

Canon 1DX + 400mm f/2.8 (1st generation)
    ISO 500
    1/2500 sec
    f/5.6

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nigel- Yes, Skokholm is a great place! It would be nice to see a bigger version of the image- you can post up to 1200px wide. I like the low angle of the image- that's exactly what you need to put the viewer into the puffin's world.

You had challenges with the light, it being quite harsh. In particular for B/W birds, overcast conditions produce better results. Here you have strong light coming from above so assume image made in middle of day- produces this "spotlight effect" on head. Earlier or later in the day the harsh light is a lot easier to deal with. The bird is looking into the tight side of the frame. Sometimes this works but in this case I think you need something in focus and of interest like a patch of in-focus flowers to justify the large amount of negative space on the right of the bird. The little bit of grass sticking up in front of the bird could be removed or you could have moved to put it to the side of the bird.

3. Thanks Nigel Cooke thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for the feedback - much appreciated. I actually have a bit of space to play with an have re-cropped so the larger amount of negative space is on the left of the bird ... agree on the lighting. Sadly, from a photography point of view, we got stunning weather that particualr weekend and the birds seemed more active and plentiful in numbers between 11am and 3pm ... oh well :)

Your feedback is much appreciated ...

regards,

Nigel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird is WAY COOL, Nigel! What a Sweetheart! Have you thought about a vertical crop to eliminate the bright flowers on the right side? ... and maybe a bit more room on the left? I may also try to get rid of that green leaf on his "butt". I would TOTALLY LOVE to see a Puffin someday. Thanks!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.