Thread: Amazonian Flower

adcolon

Default Amazonian Flower

Attached Images Attached Images

University of Puerto Rico's Botanical Gardens, Couroupita guianensis, Lecythidaceae, the flower of a tree found in the Amazon. It looks like a sea anemone. Canon 30D, Canon 100-400mm. 580X flash. ISO 320, f5.5 at !/400 sec.

Mike Moats

Hey adcolon, very cool and interesting subject. Looks like a tough surrounding to get a clean BG, I would have liked to seen a little more light on the flower. Did you get any close-ups of the center?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat subject. Very unusual. The flower seems to be underexposed vs the background. What was your metering mode? Did you use the flash mounted off camera?

Robert O'Toole

Interesting subject once again AD, Would like to see a close up of just the flower center also.

Robert

Ed Vatza

Interesting flower. I like the flower itself as well as the surrounding buds and such. It is the distant background that looks so busy and distracts for me.

adcolon

The flower was high up in a big tree. That's the best I could do.......just thought it is very unusual and it similarity to a sea anemone is striking.

adcolon

I think I used center weighted metering and a 580X Canon Flash on the camera with a Better Beamer. The tree was inside a heavy canopy of diverse trees.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi adcolon,
    I have seen this flower and you are correct it it grows mostly up high. I hope you have another opportunity to try this again with some lower blooms.