Thread: Loon "Goose"!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loon "Goose"!

Baby Loon is about 8 weeks old here and getting a bit (ahem) frisky!

All alternate "captions" appreciated.... and especially ETL C/C even MORE appreciated. Thought it was kind of a "fun" image.

Canon 60D, 300 F/4 + 1.4TC, 1/1600ss, ISO 640, f6.3....shot from the floor of our pontoon, late afternoon, early Sept.
    Name:  LoonGoose1024.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  359.9 KB
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sandy:

It is a fun one! The last time I was up, in early Sept. the juvis were being so demanding that I thought the adults would just fly away from them for a break!

Effective depth of field, well exposed except for possibly slightly blown whites on juvis lower jaw. I might consider a slightly looser crop, esp. below and left.

You might consider eliminating one of the catchlight, reflections in the juvis eye, might make it look a bit sharper.

Good shooting angle!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for your kind and helpful comments, Randy!

Agree on the looser crop (I wish!)... Just as I was shooting, my "boat captain" (hubby) rocked the boat trying to get a better look... Result: Way crooked image. Had to straighten, then lost much of the lower part by needing to crop there as well as the top and left so the Loons didn't look totally lost at the bottom. May have also helped the "shooting angle" concept too?
    Which catchlight would be best to eliminate? Any easy way to recover a bit on baby's chin?

Our baby Loon is about a month behind yours... took "first flight" last week... Parents are still here. Had a HUGE Eagle "altercation" on Saturday... fortunately, all are safe. (although Daddy Loon darn near did a VERTICAL take-off in hot pursuit of the Eagle!)
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sandy:
    I have had the unlevel issue bite me a few times. I have a bubble level on the hot shoe, and have an electronic level in the camera as well, but sometimes in the heat of action things do get misaligned!

I would remove the lower catchlight, as it is from reflection off the water. Is natural, but tends to make the pupil and hence the eye, look less sharp.

In photoshop I would use the multiply blend mode, or plug in of Color Efex Pro, detail extractor, to tone down the whites. I believe you are using PSE 11, and I don't know the options there, but if it offers blend modes, that would be a good option.

You can of course try to burn in that area slightly, but I find it looks better with the tech. I described.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

6. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy.... I'll work at that!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is such a fun & lovely image, Sandy. Agree on a little bit of a looser crop
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for looking and commenting, Marina! Hoping to try a repost (experiment) in the next few days... if it works, I'll repost it.