Thread: Croc from above - PP help appreciated

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Croc from above - PP help appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images

I'd really appreciate some help or advice here with this croc portrait. it is FF and the image was taken HH from the top of a bridge at first light one morning.

One of the areas I had problems with was what looked like small clipped spots on the head. When I did the basics in LR5 I tried using the brush tool to darken them a number of times. I checked my histogram and it was greyed on the highlight and black areas so I am wondering why I cannot get rid of them.

Secondly, when I made up a layer mask to isolate the subject from the BG(water) I, in this instance, included brushing the area of the croc submerged under water. What would the experts do in this example? Would you isolate the head area above water and another with the the submerged body area to work on them in separate layers?

HH using bridge railing for support
    Canon 1D MK IV, 300 f2.8 plus 2 X extender MK III

ISO 800, f6.3, 1/250sec - I probably could have upped my SS with higher ISO but thought I would try to keep the noise down.

LR5 - basics
    PSE 9 - LM's, USM, NR

As for cropping I have left it as is but in hindsight it should have a bit of canvas added on the RHS

C & C welcome

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl - it might be worthwhile to post the image straight out of camera for people to offer the best advice.

Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Carl, use the light you have to be more dramatic, make it punchy, use the lights & darks for theatre, likewise in your cropping, be dramatic. With the RAW you can be more selective, but perhaps something like this?

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. I think I see where you are going with this. I 'll work on it.

Rachel how do I post it if its a large file?

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Carl - just convert it to a jpeg and save for web the same way you would save any other file for posting.

Rachel