Default High Key High Speed Chase

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1D Mark IV
    400mm f/5.6
    Handheld

ISO 1250
    1/1600
    f/5.6

I thought it would be interesting to share this to demonstrate the huge size difference between Black Skimmers and Great Black-backed Gulls. I believe this is a juvenile GBBG, but please someone correct me if wrong. These gulls predate on the young of the skimmers, so the skimmers fiercely chase them when they enter the colony's nesting territory. This was a drama played out over the colony at Nickerson Beach last month. It was a very dreary day so I had the ISO cranked up high and couldn't use the SS I wanted, but still felt this one worth keeping. I have a feeling I have more noise to remove, but will see what others say.
    NR, sharpening, some crop.
    Thanks so much for any comments and critiques.
    Last edited by Melissa Groo; 09-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Melissa. I love it. What a great action shot. The focus is great especially at 5.6, I like the processing of the Gulls wings as each little feather is well defined. but not over sharpened to my eye. I do see the noise, but overall the shot works for me.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding action! Looks sharp enough to me for the SS, fine head angles. Well done.

Jack

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice job handling the technical aspects of photographing this action. The drama is captured well and more than makes up for the lackluster light quality. Love the splash of color that the skimmer's bill adds to the scene. It's also interesting to consider the size differences between the two species.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great interaction shot Melissa. Love the pose on the Gull and the skimmer as they both have their beaks open. The noise looks ok to me and I like the detail in the Gull.
    Something is funny with the perspective on this shot because a Skimmer is a moderate sized bird itself, and if this were to scale, that Gull would be the size of an Eagle or bigger :) Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the action and drama, it does have a bit noise.

I think the skimmer was farther away than the gull, as David noted the skimmer is a larger bird but here looks small compared to the gull. as a result focus was on the gull and skimmer fell outside dof.

the action is still great TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow great interaction, I have seen these guys a million times, I never realized the size difference! TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa
    I have never seen a Skimmer and always thought they were bigger. I would be good to know it the perspective did distorted the sizes as some mention above.
    I think this is a fantastic image though. I love the composition and its good that both birds are nicely in focus.

Iain

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. David, actually, this is our largest gull, and according to the Sibley Guide, it IS as big as a bald eagle (with a 1-inch difference, the eagle's average body length being 31", the great black-backed gull 30"). But I do think Arash is on the money with his observation that the skimmer might be a touch farther away, making the gull look even bigger in relation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Melissa, great interaction captured here, and love that both have their bills open. The overcast conditions has helped to make the colours pop, and although noise is only visible in small areas, you have done very well there. Well captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the action, sharpness, exposure, details and composition. Great image Melissa.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first thought exactly was look how big that dang gull is then I thought look how small that skimmer is! Super cool shot perfectly demonstrating that amazing size difference. I love the pose and expression of the gull and the overall action of the shot

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

what an image you have here .....very impressive.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Groo View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to share this to demonstrate the huge size difference between Black Skimmers and Great Black-backed Gulls. I believe this is a juvenile GBBG, but please someone correct me if wrong.
    Hi Melissa

You are correct about the age, but this is an (American) Herring Gull.

In comparison with this bird, a juvenile Great Black-backed Gull would show a whiter head & very much paler underparts contrasting with darker underwings. While still not as dark as your bird, the underwings would also be patterned in a way that is often described as 'marbled'. Finally, the tail would have a black terminal band.

With regards to size, it is worth noting that all the large gulls overlap with each other on measurements. So a large male AHG (up to 67 cm in length) could be bigger than a small female GBBG, as these can be as short as 61 cm! Both gulls, as your image demonstrates very well, are considerably larger than a skimmer.

A very nice action picture BTW.

Cheers: Wayne

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wayne, thank you so much for your expert eye and correction. Very interesting info.