Thread: Canola Crop

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canola Crop

Shot this one in one of our Canola crops, the building in the background is the old original Woodstock Inn from the gold rush days.

Would love any feed back good or bad on this just starting with landscapes.

Pentax K30, MF Tamron 28mm lens, Tripod

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

HI Charlie, You have a nice scene and I like the pano crop. The image as presented is flat with what I call muddy colors part of that has to do with the light looking at the shadows on the Inn it looks that image was made around mid day and part of it has to do with the processing. I pulled it into PS and using several curve adjustment I adjusted the black point added contrast with an S curve and tone down the roof of the INN with another curve layer and mask. To finish the image I cropped some of the sky and from the left to move Inn just a tad more off center and I also added a touch of mid tone contrast with the USM filter. I think if you re shot this in better light about 1/2 and hour after or before sun rise or sunset it would really pop with all the Canola
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

3. Thanks Charlie Schwencke thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another take. Not sure I like it any better, but with more saturation and a different crop. Used Soft Light and Overlay blend, Auto Curves and a H/S adj after Select Color yellows.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

5. Thanks Charlie Schwencke thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree this location has lots of potential. You definitely need to come back when there's a little drama in the sky and softer light.

7. Thanks Charlie Schwencke thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Charlie!
    Nice first post, looks like a location worth "working" in better light (as mentioned above). Don's repost has improved your original post in terms of contrast, colour and impact.
    I would have thought 28mm would give you a tad wider view, but presume this is cropped somewhat?
    Please do include all your settings like aperture, shutter speed and ISO in your postings, it helps guide people towards more constructive critique of your in-the-field choices. Looking forward to more of your work and helping you grow in this craft!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

9. Thanks Charlie Schwencke thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Charlie, welcome to the Landscape Forum. I love finding canola fields...they are very photogenic. A nice first post and I like what Don did to it in the repost. If the field is still in bloom try visiting in the early or later part of the day for a different lighting option. Look forward to seeing more from you!

11. Thanks Charlie Schwencke thanked for this post