Thread: Nature photography in the UK, surroundings of london?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nature photography in the UK, surroundings of london?

Coming september I will be staying in the UK for 3 months. Hopefully I can photograph some birds, landscapes etc. Do anyone of you know good locations? I will be staying in Ipswich, have a car at my disposal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi ThiJs

This is quite a distance from me so I am not too familiar with that area but the Wash is internationally important for wader and wildfowl during the Autumn and Winter months. You might want to check out the may reserves around it such as Snettisham with will give you easy access to these birds.
    Hopefully there will be other members more local to that area who can help you more.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Thijs,
    I do not know teh area well but you may want to check out the web site of RSPB, Suffolk Wildlife trust , Norfolk Wildlife trust etc. There may also be local RSPB groups and cameraclubs who can point you in the right direction. There are also books "best Birdwatching sites in Norfolk' (and other areas which may be of use - Try www.nhbs.com ).

Enjoy your stay and good luck.

John

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I haven't really been to that part of the country myself, but I do plan to spend a week in October on the north coast of Norfolk. Hence lately I've making notes of locations.

Heading inland from Ipswich, theres RSPB Lakenheath & the National Trust's Wicken Fen (two areas of wetlands that I've seen good photos from) and Thetford (recently it's become home to a family of unusually unshy otters, who play during the day in the middle of town.)

As mentioned previously, the Wash is an important winter location for birds. There's RSPB Snettisham which is famous for it's high-tide flocks. Further east along the coast are RSPB Titchwell Marsh, Blakeney Point (a large seal colony. Obey the rules because it'll be heading in to breading season), and Salthouse (seems to give good access for waders). In the north east corner of Norfolk is the broads; undoubtedly picturesque, but I haven't been planning to go there so haven't researched specific locations.

I also don't know much about the Suffolk coast. One place I do know is Orford Ness: Shingle split, ex nuclear industrial, requiring a boat ride. Not sure if this will work outside the UK, but here's a bbc video about the place. There's also RSPB Minsmere.

Hopefully that braindump is of some use.

Paul

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The above should read it's the seal breeding season; they're not known for their bread!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A gallery showing the high-tide flocks are Snettisham
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...ectacular.html

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The London Wetlands Center. We go when we can to the Wetlands Centers around the UK - Slimbridge and Arundel mainly. I have not been to the London Wetlands but they are fantastic places. Lots of "rescued" birds, ducks, swans etc which are fed by visitors so they chase you instead of the other way around BUT they also have large wild areas with hides. My husband saw a heron catch a water vole at Slimbridge last week and the winter visitors are beginning to arrive. Go and look at the website. Sue

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ipswich is only about 30 miles from one of the best bird reserves in the UK, I am talking about the RSPB's flagship reserve Minsmere.