Thread: Strange Happenings

Steve Wheeler

Default Strange Happenings

This is going to sound very odd... At least it's odd to me... But...

I processed an image in LIghtRoom v1.3.1 (I think that's the version... I know I was a couple releases behind.) I posted that version to Flickr on 5/5 and it looked pretty good in terms of sharpness.

I wanted to post the same image to BPN for comment so last night (5/6) I opened LR again and instead of hitting "Remind me Later" when the upgrade popup came up I went ahead and downloaded the latest version 1.4.1.

Upon update completion and pulling up the image I wanted it looked DISTINCTLY less sharp. It retained the edits I'd made in the previous version... It just looked MUCH less sharp.

I posted it here anyway...

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=11275

Someone of course commented on the sharpness... I went back into LR and added some sharpening and reposted.

Yes there is a DOF issue with the original image BUT... That wouldn't account for the degradation I noticed in switching from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1. I've not checked other images in the catalog... I'm HOPING it doesn't affect all of them this way.

Any thoughts on this would be MOST appreciated!

Steve

Original 5/5 post to Flickr processed in LR 1.3.1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spw11/2468831367/

William Malacarne

Steve

I noticed that they are different sizes...the final sharpening should be done after the final resize as it will change.

Bill

Steve Wheeler

Thanks for the response Bill...

I may be doing things wrong but... In LR I do whatever editing (i.e. exposure, contrast, saturation etc.etc.) I need to do and the sizing, for either Flickr (900 x 900) or BPN (800 x 800) comes during the "Export" process. Once an image is exported I don't go back into it for anything. I also have to change the "Quality" setting from what I normally do to post to Flickr (100%), sometimes fairly drastically to post to BPN due to the file size limitations.

R U saying I need to export it first, before any editing?

Thanks

Steve

Alfred Forns

Steve if you don't have a ton of images to post, I would not export but edit in PS. Then use Save for Web at the max allowed size. It will give you the best quality. As for sharpening I don't do any in LR same goes for noise reduction. Have not liked the results.

Would go back an check others to see if they have been affected the same way. No idea why? btw why don't you download the new beta version and check it out. The regular version should be out any time !!!