Thread: Bombay Hook NWR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bombay Hook NWR

Hi...we are going to be heading to Bombay Hook NWR over Labor Day weekend. I've never been there, and would appreciate suggestions about what to expect both in terms of diversity and early September. Also if you have suggestions of the best parts of the refuge to capture good bird / waterfowl photos, that would be great. Thanks! --Wendy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy...

If you will go to "The Duck Hunters Refuge", Photography Forum and ask for this information, you will get all you need.. Bombay Hook NWR is the home stomping grounds for "Dizzy Duck". Post you question there and I am sure he will answer and give you some very good advice on Bombay Hook.. You might try this link first....
    http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/f...splay.php?f=56

Dave

3. Thanks Wendy Kates thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wendy,

As one who has spent a good amount of time at Bombay Hook, the simple -- and best -- answer is just drive along the vehicle trails and look for the birds. There is so much variety at BH, both in terms of species and habitat, that you truly can't go wrong at almost any location.

The visitor's center at the entrance has maps and brochures that explain in great detail what to look for, and where to find it.

There are vehicle pull-offs to take advantage of deep woods trails, and observation platforms at various places. They are all clearly marked along the way, and on the refuge map. But some of the very best photos I've taken there were from my vehicle and a window beanbag, just pulled to the side of the 'road.'

The vast tidal pools should have a rich variety of shorebirds. And the wooded areas should produce good opportunities for song birds and other migrants as they begin their seasonal southward trek.

And don't forget the wildlife. Right now in the Wildlife Forum here at BPN, there's a Vixen photo that I took at Bombay Hook near a tidal pool.

The pesky green flies may still be out in force, so be prepared with insect repellant. They aren't as much a problem in the wide open aqueduct areas as they are in the more sheltered woody spots. And of course, if you walk the trails, ticks are always a concern.

The myriad opportunities there are always worth the trip. Good luck !

- Bill
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill...thanks for all the detailed information. --Wendy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I travel to Bombay Hook a couple times a week - it's a fantastic place. The advice given in the previous posts is good. I can only add one thing: Best shooting is from sunrise 'til about 9:30am. as the wildlife drive circles the refuge such that the eastern sun is behind you for most of the trip (i.e. you'll be shooting toward the west). I've never had huge success at the observation areas, but they're best in the afternoon as they are located on the SW sides of the "pools". Good luck! ...Jerry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy, It was great seeing, chatting and shooting with you and Don this morning. Lots of Bald Eagles, but unfortunately, they remained somewhat distant. I post the following (not-so-great) shots because they are representative of the the birds we saw this morning.

...Jerry

Name:  Adult Bald Eagle in tree Bear Swamp.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  305.8 KB

Name:  Bald Eagle - Bear Swamp Adult.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  Juvie Black Crown - Shearness Morning.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  301.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry,
    We really enjoyed shooting and chatting with you too. I love the bottom image that you posted, especially the clarity of the eye and the reflection. (I really need to brush up on my bird identification skills...I can't identify it.) When I get home, I'll post one or two of mine on Eager To Learn.
    We are going to venture back to Bombay Hook tomorrow morning to try a couple of the foot trails before we head home. It's really such a diverse environment.
    So glad that we connected this morning!
    Wendy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy, That cute little guy is a Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron. I grabbed this shot just as the sun rose near the parking area at Shearness Pool. I'm pretty sure both eagle shots were captured when we were waiting for them to fish at Bear Swamp Pool. Have a safe trip home. ...Jerry