Thread: Is the Roseate Spoonbill In Trouble?

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Is the Roseate Spoonbill In Trouble?

I have often traveled to the J.N. "Ding" Darling NWR at Sanibel Island, Florida, and I've marveled at the wildlife, including the remarkable Roseate Spoonbill. But today I received this link from Audubon, suggesting that the bird is in trouble in the Everglades: http://www.audubonmagazine.org/artic...ida-everglades. Does anyone know whether this is true?

Norm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I believe Mac Stone recently went on a photo assignment for Audubon down in the Everglades and that the spoonies have begun nesting there again after about a 10 year hiatus. Other than that, I can only tell you that they seem to be thriving quite well here on the West Coast of Florida.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    I believe Mac Stone recently went on a photo assignment for Audubon down in the Everglades and that the spoonies have begun nesting there again after about a 10 year hiatus. Other than that, I can only tell you that they seem to be thriving quite well here on the West Coast of Florida.
    Thanks, Marina. That's good news.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They were pretty sketchy in South Florida this year. I read some government paper which was saying something about they were nesting less in the Florida Bay and more in the central heart of the Everglades, for whatever reasons, though this paper was dated 2011 spring. This year, I saw very few spoonbills in the Everglades. in Everglades National Park, the bird numbers overall seemed down, and so reported all the other local photographers I met this past winter and spring. It seems that the birds did not migrate south as much as they may, because we had a warm winter. That being said, I believe we are about to have a pretty cold winter, based on the fact that I am seeing starlings and extra Ospreys. Also, my Mom who lives in Maryland says it is getting pretty cool, and my mother-in-law in Michigan says that she say the Canada Geese migrating back in mid August, so, I am guessing we should see more birds this year. I went to Tigertail Beach last April, and saw no spoonbills and not a ton else (except tricolors, and great whites, and some Ospreys...). The locals there said most of the birds had been gone for a while, and the spoonbills had barely come there.

Anyway, this seems like a rambling post on a walk without a compass in the countryside, but I hope it helps or a tleast gives you a picture. Have a great day!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Chris, for providing your impressions. I hope that things will improve for the spoonbills and the other species in Florida.