Thread: Sunrise at Canaveral

Robert Amoruso

Default Sunrise at Canaveral

Attached Images Attached Images

Sunrise at Canaveral National Seashore - some brush fires in the area accentuated the colors this morning.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III
    24-105mm @ 24mm
    Shutter speed: 20 sec
    Aperture: 22
    ISO: 50
    Exposure mode: Av
    Exposure compensation: +2/3
    3 Stop ND Filter
    3 Stop Graduated ND Filter - Hard Edge

I got some posterization in the JPG.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 05-07-2008 at 04:43 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert,
    The play in the surf, together with the colors in the ocean and the sky and the small dot of the sun, really make this image. The one thing that I would say is that it ends very abruptly at the bottom, with a particularly dark strip of sand.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet, with a strong feeling of distant. Curious why the f22, unless you wanted the long exposure.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    ...Curious why the f22, unless you wanted the long exposure.
    I meant to suggest in my posting that Robert pick up a 3-stop ND filter. They help avoid f/22 for long exposures. But without the long exposure, the water wouldn't be anything like this.

Robert Amoruso

The ISO at 50 did not record in the original post but I added it. Even with ISO 50 and a 3 stop ND plus 3 stop GND I still needed f/22. With a 6 stop ND, I can't compose well as I can't see the water.

I almost always go for a slow shutter speed to get this affect on the water. At a fast shutter speed, the water's roughness competes with sky too much.

The waves had been rolling in enough to totally fill the FG bottom except on this image in which I like the water best. I am deciding if I will crop that out or leave it.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Robert,
    As you know I'm a huge fan of the long water exposures. I also use f22 and the Singh Ray Vari ND filter to achieve the longer exposure times......it's cool because it lets you get this effect even during the day!......an added bonus is that you can compose with only the 3 stop setting and then crank it up to 9 stops of density (where you can't see through the lens :eek:).

I think you absolutely nailed the effect here! Any quicker would not give you that beautiful water. Another vote for eliminating the dark band. PS...I just looked at it again.......the dark line at the bottom does mirror the one near the horizon.....sandwiching the water nicely..........the more I look at it..the more it doesn't bother me!
    Wonderful feel to this one.
    Last edited by Roman Kurywczak; 05-07-2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added PS

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

Roman,

Thanks for the feedback and info on the SR Vari ND Filter. Will have to look into it. Repost w/o sand at bottom.

Roman Kurywczak

OK.........I'll admit it.........I was wrong........re-cast vote to put the sand back in. I told you the more I looked at it the more I liked the sand.

Alfred Forns

Amazing the difference taking the sand out makes. I was opting to take it out but have to take it back !!!!! Excellent Robert !!!

Brian Wong

Hi Robert!

I love how you used the slow speed to enhance the dreamy feel of the water. Plus the colors and shapes all match the beautiful sky. I have a question ... at a small aperture f/22, shouldn't I expect to see a star burst effect on the sun? Very appealing image!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    The ISO at 50 did not record in the original post but I added it. Even with ISO 50 and a 3 stop ND plus 3 stop GND I still needed f/22...
    Someday I'll learn to read, I promise :o

I really like the repost w/o the dark strip of sand at the bottom.

Forum Participant Valerio Tarone's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert i don't agree with David:good the choice of the flter, the dark strip of sand is really small , the colours shapes sweetly .
    Simple the subject, but good result. (I have often some language diificulties to express my thought, My english is classic british or irish).

Robert Amoruso

Quote Originally Posted by Valerio Tarone View Post
    Hi Robert i don't agree with David:good the choice of the flter, the dark strip of sand is really small , the colours shapes sweetly .
    Simple the subject, but good result. (I have often some language diificulties to express my thought, My english is classic british or irish).
    Thanks Valerio. Your doing just fine with your English and I am glad to have you contributing.

Robert Amoruso

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wong View Post
    Hi Robert!

I love how you used the slow speed to enhance the dreamy feel of the water. Plus the colors and shapes all match the beautiful sky. I have a question ... at a small aperture f/22, shouldn't I expect to see a star burst effect on the sun? Very appealing image!
    Brian,

Note always. I find that it will not happen in sunrises or sunsets especially when the intensity of the sun is diminished due to haze, etc.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

great job, robert!! amazing what a little smoke will do for a sunrise. i love this. and my vote is for leaving the sand in.

Rich Ikerd

Wonderful sunrise image Robert, not so much for the colors of the sky, but the effect you got with the long exposure. It really highlights the sky's reflection and provides for a nice pastel scene.

Maurice Allen

Robert,

Just stopped by to see your post and was amazed at the image! Very nice with or with out the sand, but I kinda like the sand.

Maurice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I vote for the sand. Layton

Blake Shadle

Love the repost, Robert. Very well done. I can go either way. The sand at the bottom makes the image feel much darker, where removing it the image has a much lighter feeling. I like the composition and the motion of the water.

Tim Cee

I like the image with the sand in it better. It is beautiful and moody capture for sure. Very nicely done !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both images are really nice. The pastel tones at work here are very soothing and draw you in. Great use of slow shutter. I agree its too muted for a star-burst effect on the sun but not sure you'd want that here. Also, the shape and amount of the aperture blades effects star-bursts.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Without or with the sand line, this rocks. Enough said.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert -

Great shot with or without sand. I vote for no sand.

HAVE A BLESSED DAY - dave b.