Thread: Athabasca Glacier

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Athabasca Glacier

Attached Images Attached Images

The Tongue of an immense (200 sq. mile) ice field in Banff National Park, Canada.
    Receding at an alarming rate!

1/160, iso400, f11, 25mm (nikkor 18-105 lens) D7000, CP, handheld, PP in NX2
    Photo taken in Fall 2012.
    I removed a tourist Bus from the scene.

DSC_0088bp3.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition with everything leading to the tongue. I'd just like a little more drama in the sky and your snow looks a little hot up top. i've never been to Banff, but it's right at the top of my list. I hope the glacier will wait for me to make it.

Roman Kurywczak

Nice comp dan and good details......fix the hottest areas Lyle mentioned and this will work very well!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Comp.
    I love making images along the Icefields Parkway.
    One point on your image(s) – when something is in the shadows, it is illuminated by the sky (like a giant softbox). As the sky is blue, so will be the color cast in the shadows.
    The human eye sees the blue but the brain processes it out.
    We aren’t accustomed to seeing bright blue snow in the shadows…. And your application of the Art Wolfe boost of color saturation (Art is aware of this effect and masks….) really does leave the snow a gorgeous sky blue.

IF it were mine, I’d do a little blue desaturation and some masking to preserve the desire sky color….
    Maybe something similar to this: (hope you don't mind. By the way, I deliberately left the blue in the central portion of the shadow field in the center, just to see how blue it was to start

Name:  dank1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  388.4 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don,
    Thanks a lot for your input and you are right on.
    Your repost looks good, the blue caste is very noticeable now when shown side by side.
    This is the best reason why I like posting here.
    Sometimes it feels like a worthless exercise and then you get a critique that you can learn from and
    incorporate into your processing like this one.
    I appreciate it, not a lot of input in the Landscape forum here, surprising given that it is the most technical
    photography discipline there is.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan
    YAW
    I saw your previous post about not enough feedback (general, not specific to you) and thought I'd chime in. I see far too many 'hey I like it" without saying much else.
    You are right about good landscape - its harder than a full frame bird. The clouds and atmospherics make waiting a gamble, and some days its just blue, bald skies.....
    Best regards
    Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan,

I like the composition, colors, and details in the image. Fixing the blue on the North face of Andromeda is an easy one. Love the sweeping curve of the stream taking us into the mountains past the fall tundra. Well done !!

This is a very familiar place to me with the Athabasca glacier and Mt Andromeda on the left. I've climbed that graceful sweeping ice and snow face known as the "skyladder" a couple times about 35 years ago. With regard to rapid melting, I understand that the skyladder route may actually dissapear in the near future with melting of the ice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a nice scene, Dan. Don's feedback was right on the money. I often have to make the same comment about blue or cyan in the shadows and green casts when animals are in lush green foliage in the wildlife forum too...people don't realise (not saying you don't) that the camera picks up on even the faintest reflected light hues.

While I like the scene as presented, it does leave me wanting more drama (not the right time of year or day perhaps?). I would definitely play with this in monochrome...have you considered it?

On your comments about activity/feedback in the Landscape forum. You are right - much more technical than many people even realise. We are trying to get people to participate more in terms of proper technical critique, and Andrew and I are trying our best to give our best feedback. Your critique on the work of others is also valued. Together we can get the "groove" back in this forum.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, a very nice scene here. My first thoughts were the blue cast that Don mentioned and reposted the version minus the blues in the shadows...I like this version best. When I am undecided as to whether I am seeing a slight color cast I will often bring an image into Nik/Google's 'Remove Color Cast' in Color Efex 4 it usually becomes quite apparent to me then if there is a color cast or not...failing that this is a great place as you mention to post images for such feedback. Keep 'em coming!