Thread: Blue Pitta

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue Pitta

One of the few times I use the 300 mm lens for birding. Very dark and raining.
    The IV really struggled. AF performance Was extremely poor. Kicking myself now for not going with the 1DX for jungle work?
    This is one of the very few it hit.

IV, 300mm, ISO 1250, 1/13, F/3.2

Last edited by Gary Kinard; 07-25-2013 at 01:16 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent details & pose. very sharp for such a low SS.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Another really lovely shot Gary. ISO 1250 - I don't know the Mk IV but couldn't you get that up to say 2,000 - 4,000 for a higher S/S and possibly more keepers ? I really don't know what can be done with the files from the Mk IV and whether the lose of detail would be too much.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Girish, Way to kind. I live in the jungle here. So easy for me to track and shoot these guys.

Kevin, Pittas are very predictable creatures. After shooting them for the last few years. They move and freeze. So picking the right time to shoot is the key. Hence I was playing with lower shutter speeds and lower ISO's. This guy had some light, very little but some.

The other one I had to shoot at F4.0 to compensate for the AF variations in low light. Pretty easy once I figured out the Mark IV in low light was giving me a close shot. With F4.0 it brought it into the range of the AF. This pitta was a little farther away and the depth of field was larger so 3.2 was enough. Still very poor but I am absolutely amazed it hit at all? To answer your question. I have many at higher ISO and a little higher shutter speeds. With a little light I can shoot at f2.8 and fairly accurate. But very low light and I have to give up something to get the shot.

At least that is the way this Mark IV behaves for me.
    G
    Last edited by Gary Kinard; 08-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.