Thread: Shooting Pittas

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shooting Pittas

Hit my favorite park here for some camping. Picked up two Pittas while there.
    I cannot figure if I should get rid of the background or what?
    www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

IV, 1/25, ISO 1250, f/4

Hooded Pitta

Last edited by Gary Kinard; 07-19-2013 at 02:51 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gary,

Pose, details & comp are excellent. The BG isn't all that distracting for me.
    You could just tone it down a bit & also the white patch on the wing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the help Girish, will try today and re-post.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot - agree on the white. Some tips on shooting Pittas would also be appreciated ! I got lucky with a Fairy but I'm off to Sabah (Sepilok, Katbatangan, Mt Kinabalu N.P.) tomorrow and am hoping for a handful of Pittas but have no experience in finding / shooting them. I have downloaded a ton of calls/songs and will try playback.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I missed the Fairy Pitta by one day here. I could kick myself. You are very fortunate.

I usually scout the area and talk to others. When I find a place where I hear them calling. I will slowly start with a call or two. Not much. If they respond. I will set a blind and use meal worms on a perch. If they are not used to humans they can be extremely skittish. Personally I find the break of dawn the best for Pittas. They are hungry and will come in very early to feed. Different locations are different. The main thing I have found is talk to others. Most will share and be glad to help.

I usually shy away from the so called pro's. Not always but most of the time. I find them very lacking in the technical expertise in tracking, and photographing birds. There expertise is shuffling in as many paying customers they can get and come in quick and leave with satisfied customers. Most with a few exceptions are very poor actual birders. At least over here anyway.
    Last edited by Gary Kinard; 07-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the tips Gary.

Just back from the Sabah trip .. unfortunately no Pittas :(

A Malaysian guy I was talking to had Hooded and Black & Crimson (saw his shots) just an hour later on the same Kingfisher Trail at RDC I had walked earlier, gripped !

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just getting in from the jungle Kevin. So just seeing your comments. I just spent a few days exploring. Had a very productive trip.
    You know Kevin. When I do not get a particular bird it just makes me that much more determined. Next time you will get some for sure.
    I would be interested in a trip report from you? If you blog or post trip reports please send me a link.
    G

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinard View Post
    Just getting in from the jungle Kevin. So just seeing your comments. I just spent a few days exploring. Had a very productive trip.
    You know Kevin. When I do not get a particular bird it just makes me that much more determined. Next time you will get some for sure.
    I would be interested in a trip report from you? If you blog or post trip reports please send me a link.
    G
    Good to hear your trip went well .. look forward to seeing the results !

There is a Trip Report from Sabah here : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=263262

Some more decent photos to come I hope as still processing - some of those above are just to show the birds were seen than for the IQ :)

My website is here but you need to do some rummaging ! : http://frogfish.smugmug.com/

I started this about 18 month ago, mainly Shanghai but also some trips further afield in China. There was a gear change recently (9-10 months ago) too (Switched to Nikon from Pentax due to the lack of long lenses in the Pentax line-up) : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=225891
    Last edited by Kevin Harding; 08-11-2013 at 12:55 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice report Kevin, I wish everyone around here would do the same!
    I to moved from Pentax, but to Canon mount about two years ago. I still have two sigma lenses and am waiting on the next Pentax camera body. I would sell the lot but kinda like to play with the different sensors that Sony and others make for them.
    I have been in Asia for 5 years now.... wow. I didn't get interested in photography until I came here. Still have a home in America but am getting so entrenched in Asia culture and the cheap prices I rarely go home anymore.
    Reading your blog, I agree Air asia is a great airline. I just booked a hop from BKK, Thailand. Round trip to Kolkata. For two. 275 dollars. Leaving Oct 7th. If everything goes to plan.
    Nice pics by the way. Will browse more later.
    Cheers, G