Thread: odd place for a nest

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default odd place for a nest

Attached Images Attached Images

Went to move my old bicycle when I noticed leaves in the saddle bag. I thought it odd, and when I went to investigate, saw the nest. I put the bicycle back, and hope that my moving it will not frighten the mother away. These are small, about 1/2 inch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mitch- Sorry I missed your post. A very nice place to build a nest- sheltered from the weather and predators. I don't know my eggs so can't ID the bird. Did you end up seeing the parents? I mentioned this one before on BPN but a few years ago a Robin decided to build a nest on top of the rear tire of a parked car, under the wheel well. We had to use the car and so carefully moved the nest and the parents followed.

Any updates on your nest?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mitch: Not sure we're you're geographically located, but these look like they might be a fit for Carolina Wren. Moving the bike shouldn't cause a nest failure. Parental instincts are strong and the bird should come right back once you've gone.

A buddy of mine told me an interesting story about nest moving. He works for a company that does excavation, quarrying, etc. The company had a dredge on the Delaware River that was moving up and down river as it worked. Apparently a Wood Duck set up a nest when it was sitting still. She didn't seem to mind that the nest site kept moving. They crew would see her fly in and out wherever they were.