Thread: Antarctica Trip Planning

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Antarctica Trip Planning

In the process for scheduling a trip to the Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands between Dec 26, 2014 and Jan 25, 2015. Window is very narrow for us with other commitments. Have looked at numerous vendors. Lindblad National Geographic is one of the few that offers such a trip at that time. Anyone have any experience with them? Saw them in Galapagos and was somewhat underwhelmed but that might have been an aberration.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have travelled with Lindblad in the Galapagos and they were superb in every way.

The one thing I would always ask about when going to Antarctica (I've been going for close to 15 years) is the ship. How does she perform in rough water? I have seen the worst the Antarctic can be and trust me on this, you do not want to be in many of the ships that ply those waters, including many that are chartered by "high-end" photo tour operators.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    I have travelled with Lindblad in the Galapagos and they were superb in every way.

The one thing I would always ask about when going to Antarctica (I've been going for close to 15 years) is the ship. How does she perform in rough water? I have seen the worst the Antarctic can be and trust me on this, you do not want to be in many of the ships that ply those waters, including many that are chartered by "high-end" photo tour operators.
    Thanks John, I get your "drift"....I have seen some video and images of ships doing the crossing when its bad...Terrifying .....and I am a veteran mariner.....Ship is certainly a major consideration....Dates are another...having a hard time finding one that fits my window...Lindblad's looked very good but starts one day too early for us with the Christmas holidays. Curious in that there almost seems to be a rotation among the ships. If a ship has a date of "x" , this year it will not have that slot next year....not sure why but just an observation of careful study...thoughts?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure about the specifics of scheduling but I know each company coordinates at different time scales down to the hours a particular landing is booked for.