Thread: Nikon 2nd Body Suggestions

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon 2nd Body Suggestions

Hi everyone,

I currently have a D3S & a 600mm VR, i am planing on investing on a 2nd body sometime soon with a shorter lens like like the 70-200mm or the Sigma 120-300mm. With the recent price drop here in prices, at $1071how would the D7100 be?

Regards,
    Angad

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have seen people use D7100 with good results. It's an OK body, main limitation is very small buffer capacity (6 or 7 I believe) when shooting RAW. There isn't anything better at that price range...
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a D800 and bought the D7100 as my second body. However, I use it to more reach. IQ is good yet body has limitations. Besides what Arash mentions it is light and you cannot really balance it well on a gimbal head with the 600. A grip would help.

I will keep mine till the D400 comes out which promises to be a better body. Rumors say a possible August announcement.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

IMHO the D7100's buffer more than the low fps destroys it as a birding lens ... the nebulous D400 will nail it :D

I use the D800 and love the cropability and ergonomics, the low fps has never been an issue for me and the IQ at high ISO is not far off that of the D3s. The D600 (my back up) just doesn't have the same ergonomics and the lack of an AF-on button (though I've mapped this to the AE-L button and moved that to Fn) and lack of an instant 100% zoom review means it just doesn't feel right. AF has always worked just fine for me though (e.g. BIF) though others have some complaints. Maybe a D300s for now unless you fancy stumping up for the D800 ?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Angad, if you don't mind the feel of the D7100, then that is a great second body. If, however, you want the larger camera body, then the D800 is a great camera to have. I use it exclusively and it has every bell and whistle I need (except for re-routing the ISO button to be where the record button is - but only the D4 offers that).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The other big limitation of the D7100 is AF. While the published data indicates AF to f/8, you only have one sensor - the center sensor, that reliably performs beyond f/5.6. That's not a problem with an f/2.8 lens. But if you are using the TC 20E III or a variable aperture zoom like the Sigma 50-500 or 150-500, it can be a problem at the long end.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...features01.htm

In comparison, the D800 and D600 have quite a few sensors that work beyond f/5.6 and specifically at f/8. The D800 has 11 sensors operating at f/8. The big advantage is between f/5.6 and less than f/8 you have 15 sensors - 9 of them cross sensors in the central area. The D800 and D4 have the same AF sensor layout.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...features03.htm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you are using a D3s as your main body how about a D700 as a backup, close to same layout of controls .great high iso. 8 fps, excellent AF, good buffer. weather sealing, F.F. etc. I picked up one almost new for 1200$ , I also have a D7000, image Qaulitys ok, but the body,and the buffer too small.