Thread: Giant Water Bug & eggs #2

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Giant Water Bug & eggs #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Another shot of the male Giant Water Bug (Family Belostomatidae, likely Belostoma sp.) with eggs attached to its back. It seemed to prefer swimming with its front legs extended forward - this gives a good view of its stabbing beak. The AF on Canon's current 100 mm macro works very well for shots like this. 2.5 gallon aquarium setup, 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 1/125, f/16, ISO 160, 2 remotely fired 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), HH, AF. I used NIK Viveza 2 to selectively reduce the brightness and saturation of the equisetum stem on the left. I also removed some of the floating bits of debris in the water and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, it almost looks like a diving swimmer! It's too bad that the bug and its former perch are not completely separated. I keep being amazed at the IQ you are able to reach with your setup. I also still think this bug is rather scary, and the added eggs don't help . I bet you'll have a lot of fun when they hatch!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are getting stunning shots with this setup, great detail and lighting, and I love the color palette!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another amazing image! I really like the stretched out legs and the view of the beak. Also the subdued and well placed lighting. Seeing this belostomatid with eggs on its back just makes me in awe of nature and its processes!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet pose, and once again the lighting is perfect! I was sorry to read that he decided to remove the eggs. Eager to see what you come up with next.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Steve, love the light and the pose, everything just about optimal for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, another awesome image IMO. Those eggs on the back really tell a story of Nature. Great lighting and image quality. Extremely well done! - Allen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments, folks!

Today, I'm off on a photo trip to Iceland for 2 weeks - so I'll be away from the Forum until then. I hope to see a lot of great Macro posts when I return!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve... this is inspirational stuff... macro at is best... stunning detail and exposure... really stunning image... VWD!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As wonderful as this is, I love the lighting the most.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.