Thread: Canon EOS 70D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon EOS 70D

For those who have been waiting for the 7D successor, Canon announced the EOS 70D. (not sure if it is a 60D successor or a 7D successor but this is it)

It has a new 20 Mpixel APS-C sensor.The main highlight is the Dual-Pixel CMOS AF which is supposed to enable phase-detect AF in live view mode and when shooting HD video. basically each pixel is divided into two sub-pixels for capturing left and right signal for phase detection. Canon claims it is better than the pixel masking method used in Nikon and some Fuji mirror-less cameras.

The main AF module is the same as the old 19-point system used in the 7D so unfortunately no improvement for folks who like to shoot birds in flight.

Continuous shooting speed is reduced from 8fps to 7fps, mainly because it can only support SD card and Canon do no support high speed write to SD.

With articulating screen it seems to be targeted at armature video shooters.

you can read more here

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've seen discussions on this forum lamenting the fact that Canon had stayed with their tested-and-true 500nm manufacturing process for too long.

Now, from the descriptions of this 20.2 megapixel sensor it appears that there are actually 40.4 million photosites, 2 for each pixel. Does this mean that Canon has finally moved to a 180 or even 90nm process?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Charegaonkar View Post
    I've seen discussions on this forum lamenting the fact that Canon had stayed with their tested-and-true 500nm manufacturing process for too long.

Now, from the descriptions of this 20.2 megapixel sensor it appears that there are actually 40.4 million photosites, 2 for each pixel. Does this mean that Canon has finally moved to a 180 or even 90nm process?

Not necessarily, although it wouldn't be surprising. They do not disclose such information but someone will open up and SEM their chip at some point.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a snapshot of the EOS 70D – KEY FEATURES

• 20.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor with ISO 100-12,800 sensitivity, expandable to ISO 25,600.
    • 7fps full resolution continuous shooting rate.
    • Swift and accurate focus in Live View and Full HD movies with Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
    • 19-point wide area, all cross-type AF points.
    • DIGIC 5+ image processor - 14-bit processing for high quality images.
    • Large 7.7cm (3.0”) capacitive touch panel Vari-angle Clear View II LCD 1040k dot, 3:2 ratio.
    • Intelligent viewfinder with 98% frame coverage.
    • Full HD movies with external mic port, stereo microphone, timecode, selectable frame rates, and a range of compression options.
    • Built-in WiFi capability for instant sharing and remote control.
    • In-camera HDR mode, Multiple exposure function.
    • iFCL metering system with 63-zone Dual-Layer sensor.
    • Electronic level, exposure compensation +/- 5 stops.
    • Integrated Speedlite Transmitter

A list of lenses that have limited compatibility with the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system:

• EF14mm f/2.8L USM
    • EF24mm f/1.4L USM
    • EF100mm f/2.8 Macro
    • EF400mm f/2.8L USM
    • EF500mm f/4.5L USM
    • EF600mm f/4L USM
    • EF1200mm f/5.6L USM
    • EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM
    • EF17-35mm f/2.8L USM
    • EF20-35mm f/2.8L
    • EF24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    • EF28-70mm f/2.8L USM
    • EF28-70mm f/3.5-4.5
    • EF28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II

• EF28-80mm f/2.8-4L USM
    • EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6
    • EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like a great camera from I've read about it. It's a replacement for the 60D, but with many features taken from higher end models and some surpassing those. Lets hope for a low noise, and good Dynamic range from this new sensor. I can't see it being the next big thing but I think it'll provide good image quality for the mid range and future low end cameras. I think We'll see something of a big improvement in in the 7D Mk II when it's eventually announced. I did notice that the 70D will have up to 10x digital zoom in video while still maintaining HD recording which sounds very useful for recording rare birds you can't get close and general videos of hard to get to wildlife ect. Im excited to see what this camera will bring to the table when it's released.

I came across higher resolution sample images here http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us...EOS_70D_7.aspx only problem being there very compressed. Still it might give some idea.