Thread: Loon Reflection

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

Default Loon Reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was captured at Rainy Lake on border water between Minnesota and Canada. Canon EOS 20D, 100-400mm (320mm range)IS Lens, ISO 400, 1/800, f 8.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Great exposure and reflection. The BG is fine too IMHO.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice image, Jake. Great exposure control and reflection. I just wish for more room on the right and bit more head turn toward you.

Gayle Clement

This is such a beauty. The rich color of the bird and the perfect reflection are really nice. Have you considered cloning out the small white spots in the water in front of the reflection.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

Thanks for the feedback. I probably did clone out the white spots for the image on my website. Good catch...I noticed them before posting, but decided to see if people would notice or mind them. I have several hundred loon shots from a photo opportunity a couple of summers ago, I still haven't had a chance to look at or convert too many. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Gorgeous lighting and detail in this image and the water is a beautiful rich color which adds to the beauty of this image. A little more space in front would strengthen this image but in saying that I would love to have this in my files. Very nice capture Gary !!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

Thanks! The common loon is our "state bird" and thus very popular in Minnesota. If I have any sort of bird specialty it is my loon shots. I was given the opportunity to provide the official loon shot for the state, but they wanted a full size image, no copyright and the ability to give it to anyone who requested it. An honor, but not with those terms. I hope for more loon photo opportunities next summer. I have only had an opportunity to shoot these beautiful birds on a couple of occasions and both were two years apart.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gary "Jake" Jacobson View Post
    Thanks! The common loon is our "state bird" and thus very popular in Minnesota. If I have any sort of bird specialty it is my loon shots. I was given the opportunity to provide the official loon shot for the state, but they wanted a full size image, no copyright and the ability to give it to anyone who requested it. An honor, but not with those terms. I hope for more loon photo opportunities next summer. I have only had an opportunity to shoot these beautiful birds on a couple of occasions and both were two years apart.
    You should have said ok for $100,000. :D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot. Love the colors you were able to capture and the light sure helped you along the way. Thanx for sharing.

Robert La Follette

Gary,

Awesome shot! See you are using the 100-400... How do you like it?

-robert.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

I love the lens, but it certainly isn't as sharp as the primes. I love the versatility and being able to hand hold for capturing images. I saw a lot of people setting-up tripods for owl shots a few years ago during the owl irruption in MN, but they missed many a shot due to lack of flexibility. I was able to move to get the light, angle and shots I like with this lens. I do dream of adding the 500mm f4 IS to my collection someday.

Alfred Forns

Sweet and so pleasing !!!! Love the fine detail on the blacks and soft light Agree with the little more room on the right !!!

Miro Zumrik

I agree with all posts above - very nice shot. you should be quite close to get those proportions.

Linda Robbins

Lush color and beautiful sharp details. Wish for a very slight head turn, and agree with the comments about a bit more room on the right. Love Rainy Lake...great fishing!

Linda

Del Cockroft

A very nice image. The green background really makes the bird standout.

David Hemmings

Outstanding Loon image:D

Jody Melanson

Wonderful pose, gorgeous water. The only way this would be better for me is a lower shooting angle. Great job.