Thread: Sorry to post a tripod thread...just need to know if these legs will work for this rig

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sorry to post a tripod thread...just need to know if these legs will work for this rig

I realize there are tons of tripod forum threads here and elsewhere, but I'm hoping my question is basic enough that it won't have to drag on. I've done so much tripod research that I'm going insane; I've done countless hours of web searching, reading forums, reading manufacturer sites, comparing specs and features in a spreadsheet, over a period of several weeks. In fact, I actually have a headache right now! Anyway, to summarize my plans and get on to the question:

I've been using a Canon 7D and 400mm f/5.6L for my wildlife work, and I will continue to use that setup because IMO it is a phenomenal and pleasurable rig. But I am looking to add some more slightly upgraded equipment to my lineup. In particular, I am strongly considering a Canon 500mm f/4 IS (version 1, used, because it's 1/2 the price of the v2). In addition, I am going to get a wimberly v2 head. I'm pretty much set on that glass and head setup. I'll most likely be adding a flash & bracket, and also hanging some weight under the tripod sometimes.

Based on my absurd amount of research, I've narrowed the tripod choice down to a model that has features and specs that I like. That tripod is the Gitzo GT3542LS. The only question I have, based on anyone's actual field experience, would the 3542LS be a sufficiently sturdy leg set for the 7D, 500mm f4 IS, flash/bracket, occasional weight hanging, etc? One concern is that the Gitzo website, for the 3542LS, says "ideal for use with lenses up to 400mm." I've heard they make those suggestions less on weight load than by lens length and torsional forces when turning such a lens, so I wonder if it is a legitimate concern about using my future 500mm on it.

I might potentially be open to the 4542LS, though I'd rather not have the extra folded size and weight if I can avoid it. Overall, I don't want a tripod that is just "safe" or "ok" for the gear. I want something that will be stable and excellent in real world nature photography conditions. To recap, I really like the two Gitzo models noted above, and I've picked them based on features, specs, and my guess that they are a close fit for what I will be doing; I've looked at other brands and models, yet ruled everything else out for various reasons. So I am hoping you can just confirm yes or no on the models for the rig I am planning to use, and why. If no to these leg sets, then I will entertain other suggestions. Thank you greatly for any assistance you can offer!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    Hi Matt,
    What is your body length?
    I ask this because I am 1.90m and the 3542LS is too short for me. For me, the 3542XLS is better, so I can also stand upright.
    Not only that, a longer tripod will com in handy on sloping grounds. Just another consideration to take in mind.
    Peter, thanks for the response. I am only 5'7" tall (Google says that is 1.74m ). I think the LS model would probably be tall enough for me. What kind of gear do you use on your 3542? Do you think the telephoto rig that I mentioned would be adequately supported on that tripod? Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Matt:

I have used the older 3540 for a number of years, currently with a Nikon D4 and either a 500 or 600, often with TCs. Artie also has used various 3 series tripods for a number of years. Because I am almost always shooting moving birds, my shutter speed has to be high enough to freeze their motion, so have not had issues with stability. If I did more low shutter speed work, would def. go for a heavier tripod, 5 series Gitzo or RRS TVC-33.

Good point from Peter about the longer tripod. I am 6' tall, and have to stoop slightly when shooting up for birds in flight, so will go with a taller tripod next time.

Because of your height, that issue won't be quite as critical, but if you are shooting on any type of incline, it gobbles up the reach pretty fast!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, thanks for the reply. I will take the height into consideration, as many people have mentioned that factor to me.

It's nice to know that your old 3540 is working well for your big lenses. I always try to use the fastest shutter speed possible, since I also will be shooting birds and other wildlife, and I only accept critically sharp images. Additionally, at all shutter speeds, I try to use excellent long lens techniques to reduce vibrations.

Another quick question though, as far as your 3540 and your big lenses, aside from the vibration factor, how is the overall stability? Vibrations are one thing, but another concern I have is overall stability, as in that the tripod does not feel like it is going to topple over and the lens is not tippy. Since I will not always be working on flat and/or solid ground, I am wondering how the tripod handles in that respect.

Thanks again!

Edit - I am currently trying to convince myself that the 4542 might be better The reason I am trying to convince myself of this is that it might be better to do a slight bit of overkill stability and vibration wise, and then might leave it open if I get a larger lens in the future. The Gitzo site says the 4542 is good for lenses up to 600mm. Versus the 3542, the 4542 is only 1.89" longer when folded, and only weights .77 pounds more. That length and weight aren't THAT much more, right? Yet it adds almost 1/4" of leg diameter. I am terrible at making decisions
    Last edited by Matt Schwartz; 06-30-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Matt:

No particular concerns with stability with the 3540, but with any tripod you have to be ever mindful of it toppling over. I always level it freq., to keep as wide as base as possible. I don't walk away from it on a windy day or with uncertain footing. If any concerns, spread the legs out to the next notch so it simply can't fall over.

It is always a trade off, of strength vs wgt/cost and size. Carrying and traveling gets to be more and more of an issue with flying these days, so folded length can be a real issue if you fly small planes. o
    Because a good tripod can lasts for many years, it does pay to choose wisely, buy the sturdiest one that fits your likely needs, at least for the near future, and take good care of it. A good brand name like a Gitzo or RRS will retain its value well, so if you do find you need something else, you won't lose all your investment.

In summary, I think a 3 series would work well with a 7D and future 500. If you are close to adding a pro body and longer lens, would look at a larger one, accepting that it will cost more, weigh more, and be harder to pack.

I find that I am shooting more and more handheld with my 500, makes BIF easier. It is a learned skill however.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

6. Thanks Matt Schwartz thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, thank you so much for taking the time to write out all of your helpful replies! Ok, so I am pretty comfortable about the 3542 being good for the 500. Now (that you mentioned it) I need to think a little more about how long I suspect it will be before I upgrade body or even go with a 600mm. If I think it's not long off, it might be wise to just grab the 4542 now instead. But at least I know that either will be good for what I will be doing in the near future, so this has really been great; without your help I don't know if I'd ever have made a decision

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Matt

I'm coming in a little late. My take is while the 3542LS will work, it is borderline. You are choosing a light tripod for portability and cost rather than the best tripod for your gear. It's very tough to see the difference in images so the difference would only show up in the most demanding situations - if then. A related issue is how you use the tripod. I've seen the bottom section of the legs on my 3540LS flex visibly on some surfaces. The problem is worse when fully extended. One of the ways the XLS adds value is you rarely need to fully extend the thinnest leg section and that adds stability.

I don't think you are making a wrong decison on the 3542LS. The 4542 has its own drawbacks in that it is heavier and less portable. I like the 3 series tripods for your main tripod or a travel tripod. The 4 series and 5 series are not the choices if you do a lot of hiking or need to have a tripod that is more travel friendly - I'd view them as second tripods.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric, thanks for your input. You aren't too late, as I have not purchased the tripod yet. I am pretty sure I am going with the 4542 because I want to be able to upgrade my rig without needing to purchase a new tripod again. When it comes down to it, the 4 series (vs 3 series) is only about .77 pound heavier and less than 2 inches longer. Really, that isn't much of a difference considering that I'll have a gimbal head, heavy lens, accessories, etc. I'll just need to get stronger

Thanks for posting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Matt,

Just a little note that may or may not help. I use my 7D and 500/4 V 1 with an Induro GHB2 Gimbal and an Induro AT 214 tripod. It all works well together.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Matt I have a mark 4, 500 v1 Wimberley 2 head and I bought a 5 series Gitzo to prop this lot up (cant remember the number, but its superseded now anyway)... Love it!!! solid as a proverbial rock. My only suggestion is that I bought a 4 section leg as the folded height was short enough to pack into a regular suitcase for overseas (any really) travel, something for you to consider. The 4 sections gave me the short folded length and still plenty of height fully extended for shooting over head.. DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's another thumbs-up for the 5 series Gitzo. They are ultra stable.

I've had my 5541LS since rising to Nikon 600mm lenses several years ago.

When I shot Canon with 500mm lenses, a 3 series worked.

I've used the Wimberley II heads with both.

The 5 series delivers the most stability, hands down. I deal with the weight as the trade off for the most solid platform.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens