Thread: Stabilization for Safai

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stabilization for Safai

Hi all,
    I am leaving for Safai in both South Africa and Botswana in August. I will be bringing my D3s, D800, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200, 200-400 and a 1.7 tele. I usually use my Wimberley on my Gitzo. However, I will be in open safari jeeps. Any ideas what to attach the head to, and how to do so? I don't think a monopod makes much sense due to space limitations in the vehicle. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,

Darren

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Darren,

make it simple and be more flexible, use a bean bag! You can jump to both side easily without any hassle. I never used a tripod nor a monopod on a vehicle only bean bags. Had once a photog on the Jeep with all set, he had the biggest hassle to move from right to left or vice versa. I just grab my bean bag and viola. I can even go lower than he was able to with his Wimberly installment. But that is all up to you what you prefer. I love my bean bags. Wise to have a string attached, in case it falls over board. There are many on the market. I fill mine with those light weight "beans" from those Fat Boy seats. This white stuff balls. No idea how they are called in English. Easy to travel as they are really light weight. You can make them yourself as well, if you can and have a sewing machine

Here in BH you find quite a lot with description, scroll down: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...-bags-and-more

On this one you can attach your Wimberly : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Realtree.html

Have fun digging in those. I have not so big ones and one bigger one, like the one which a Wimberly can be attached.

If you have any more question, give me a shout

Ciao
    Anette
    Last edited by Anette Mossbacher; 06-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Annette,
    thank you so much for your advice! I have a bean bag that I have used before and I will definitely pack it. By the way I checked out your website and your images are stunning! Would love to speak to you more if so please send me a private message here and I will give you my private email.

Sincerely,

Darren

4. Thanks Anette Mossbacher thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Also, don't miss a shot by screwing around with your bean bag when you could have hand held the shot just as well. All those lenses can be hand held by most.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Darren, just remember you will need to work around people and therefore limits what you can & cannot do. Manfrotto do a clamp which you then need a screw stud which then fits to your tripod head, however the bean bag is your best friend.

Make sure the bag has a cord attached to it which is then secured to the roll bar or a hard fixing. If it falls out you can, with care, retrieve it. Without it, good bye bean bag, you will NOT be able to get it back! Also fill it at each camp with sand, if you fill it with rice or similar food stuff and leave it in the jeep over night you will have more holes in it the following morning than a string vest!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve duly noted appreciate your advice:-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just back from my 7th trip to Africa.
    In my opinion, you will only need support for the 200-400 and a bean bag will work great. Kinesis and Gura Gear make good ones filled with light materials.
    Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Darren...I have been to Africa twice and used bean bags both times.....worked well for me! Have fun!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bob appreciate your help. Think I am going to head down bean bag lane..