Thread: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender Sandhill Crane Head Portrait

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender Sandhill Crane Head Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

I got myself a birthday present a few weeks back. 67 BTW on June 14; feel like 13.... Made this one on my birthday morning with the hand held Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens with Internal 1.4x Extender (with the 1.4X TC in place) at 560mm and the Canon EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/1000 sec. at f/8 in Manual mode.

Two sensors to the right of the central sensor/AI Servo-Surround/Rear Focus just in front of and below the bird’s eye active at the moment of exposure. Click here if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial.

I did have one huge surprise when I was working with the lens. Click here and scroll down to "The Huge Surprise" to find out what amazed me. And to learn a lot more about the new zoom lens. Yikes, I almost forgot: the blog post includes a 100 crop of the image presented here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wish you many happy return of the day and wish that your Birthday present give you a lot of joy of shooting.
    Striking portrait image, nice details, HA and composition.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 06-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy belated birthday Artie! What a nice present to give yourself. Looks like a winner of a combo in terms of usability and IQ! That crop is pretty amazing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jeannean. As I recall, this was only a tiny crop at most from the original. Have fun in the Valley!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy birthday, Artie...and congrats on the new lens.
    Sharp as can be here. It does seem like this lens is the business for Canon shooters, and paired with the 1Dx you should not need much more in Africa (if you are focusing on mammals, that is).
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is very nice.
    I really like the IQ. It is excellent.
    The light is great. Love the clean BG as well.
    I might be tempted to add a bit more on the bottom ~ 5% because it feels a bit tight to me but that is purely a preference observation. I like my space!
    Off topic:I am so tempted to buy or rent this lens for an upcoming trip to the Falklands. WWYD if spending 2 weeks in the Falklands? Take my 600 or leave it at home and rent the 200-400?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Happy birthday, Artie...and congrats on the new lens.
    Sharp as can be here. It does seem like this lens is the business for Canon shooters, and paired with the 1Dx you should not need much more in Africa (if you are focusing on mammals, that is).
    Thanks Mork-man. It will be a great lens for Africa but I go nowhere without a big super-telephoto and a 2X TC :).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    This is very nice.
    I really like the IQ. It is excellent.
    The light is great. Love the clean BG as well.
    I might be tempted to add a bit more on the bottom ~ 5% because it feels a bit tight to me but that is purely a preference observation. I like my space!
    Off topic:I am so tempted to buy or rent this lens for an upcoming trip to the Falklands. WWYD if spending 2 weeks in the Falklands? Take my 600 or leave it at home and rent the 200-400?
    Gail
    I would actually rent one as it is the perfect lens for down there. BTW, thanks for commenting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Happy belated birthday. I would say this one is fair to middling sharp . It will be interesting to see how Nikon responds to defend this turf, which they have owned for years.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    ThanAs I recall, this was only a tiny crop at most from the original.
    Artie, I didn't mean this photo, but the 100% crop you posted on your blog. I knew this wasn't much of a crop (if any).
    It's kind of hard to have fun in the Valley at the moment with 105 degree temps and 70% humidity, unless hanging out in the sauna all day is fun. Wishing October would hurry up!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannean Ryman View Post
    Artie, I didn't mean this photo, but the 100% crop you posted on your blog. I knew this wasn't much of a crop (if any).
    It's kind of hard to have fun in the Valley at the moment with 105 degree temps and 70% humidity, unless hanging out in the sauna all day is fun. Wishing October would hurry up!

Ah, now I get it. It has actually been a bit cooler than usual here so far this summer. You have my sympathies. I head to the Galapagos on Sunday :).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

congrats on the b-day and the new toy!
    Photo is sharp as can be.
    A big zoom would be very handy, I am sure you will give us many nice images as well as food for thought.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice capture,good BG,sharp,but on my screen,the bill is just a touch soft right at the end,may be because of the slight head turn? thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact. Great Lens and happy belated birthday Artie.

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yew what a awesome birthday present, looks like the lens is very sharp and it's great to have the zoom flexibility. Enjoy and hope have a great day.

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent picture !

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christopher galeski View Post
    nice capture,good BG,sharp,but on my screen,the bill is just a touch soft right at the end,may be because of the slight head turn? thanks.
    Hi Chris, The bill tip is way sharp enough for me. Whatever you are seeing is surely a result of narrow d-o-f. I worry about getting the eye sharp :). At times lack of d-o-f from too much head turn but not at all with this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad reza shahab View Post
    excellent picture !
    Thanks Mohammad. If you like an image please let us know why. We work hard here to avoid becoming a "Great Shot" forum.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thankyou for your reply Arthur,and happy belated birthday .

24. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful colors and details you have captured here, Arthur Sir ?
    Love the golden ring of eye,great details,BG and composition.
    BTW, belated Happy Birthday to you, Sir.

Regards,
    Satish.

26. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, Happy belated birthday, ( 8 days after mine ) and what a great result from your birthday present. Excellent light and IQ, sharpness spot on, colours all look natural, and against a killer BG. I feel the comp works just fine as is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, you give a lot of credit to the lens, but I bet your skills make it shine! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this lens while on travel.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Arthur Bhai,
    I can see that the lens does have a great ability to resolve the details and the 1.4 is impressive as well
    Nice details and the BG is what is stunning, looking forward to more images from this lens ( from you)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Firstly Artie, belated Happy Birthday.

It's a cracking lens, coupled with the 1DX the AF is superb, lighteningly fast and deploying the 1.4 is so easy and very effective when you need it. Crystal clear images and pin sharp, as illustrated above. How do you find the weight, seems like HH the old 500 lens to me? Certainly 'the lens' for Africa and many other similar locations for sure, and will be in my kit bag, fact!!!

Not sure if it's true, but I did read that deploying the extender whilst the camera is buffering may cause an issue, you might like to check that?

The 'kit' illustrates very well the great detail it captures, especially in the bill and I like the small hairs on the head. Having the contrasting green background really helps the reds & orange of the eye give standout.

Look forward to seeing more.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice and sharp with great light
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet image, Happy BD. Looking forward to more images from this new toy.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Happy Birthday to you! You got you an awesome present. I am pretty impressed with the detail. As for the image, I like that too.