Thread: New version, Nikon 80-400 AFS quick, UNSCIENTIFIC review

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default New version, Nikon 80-400 AFS quick, UNSCIENTIFIC review

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I have had the new Nikon 80-400mm for a week now and I am impressed, to say the least! Here's some of my experiences so far. The image posted here is of nestling Stellar's Jays, handheld, sitting in a chair, TC1.4, ISO 3200, 1/60sec at f8, VR set to "NORMAL" with the D800. The nest was under the eves of a porch and was dark but did have some reflected light coming in from the windows in front of it, you can see a shadow above and behind the birds. I did nothing to this image, just converted the raw in ACR with no raw presharpening and sized to fit BPN constraints. I don't know how the image stacks up to the products of higher end lenses but I do know that I would not have been able to produce it with ANY OF MY PAST EQUIPMENT!

I have used it exclusively with the TC1.4.

I can tell that it is a little heavier that the old version but not significantly for walking around with handheld (a shoulder strap is recommended though).

Although I haven't really got to use it for much BIF, I can say the the AF with the tc is way faster than the old version (which wouldn't accept a tc) and at least as fast as the Nikon 300f4+tc1.4.

I shot some really low light (in the Sierra deep forest shadows) and had no problem AF'ing. It is really nice to be able to MF while in AF mode to rough in the focus then let the AF take over.

THE VR ROCKS! Compared to the old version, this VR is amazing to me, even with the 1.4 attached. My old version's VR didn't even exist compared to this new version!!! I was able to get sharp images down to 1/60sec handheld, providing the subject didn't flinch!

I shot some small butterflies at close focus and the combo worked well but the lens does "breath" at the close focus, I have read that it losses focal length at CF and it does, but it was still nice to be able to focus on subjects under 5 feet away!

My D800 calculates the focal length with the tc1.4 as 550mm? Should be 560mm, according to my math skills? Oh Well!

I can't wait to get out and do some BIF with and without the tc.

I LOVE THIS LENS (so far)!
    Last edited by Dan Brown; 06-27-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did great things with the old 80-400 (not an easy feat), so this lens and your new D800 should take your photos to the next level!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

3. Thanks Dan Brown thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dan, thanks a lot for this

Can you confirm what the smallest f number you can get to once the TC is on? Is that f8 or did you stop down a bit?

Surprised about the AF speed even with the TC and sounds like a wonderful option for hiking

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shane shacaluga View Post
    Hey Dan, thanks a lot for this

Can you confirm what the smallest f number you can get to once the TC is on? Is that f8 or did you stop down a bit?

Surprised about the AF speed even with the TC and sounds like a wonderful option for hiking
    F8 is wide open with the TC1.4, Shane.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks

Do you find it AF's faster than the 300f4 with the 2xTC you tested recently?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shane shacaluga View Post
    Thanks

Do you find it AF's faster than the 300f4 with the 2xTC you tested recently?
    Absolutely! The 2x was ok but not for BIF. I will probably rent it again, along with the 1.7 and try them on this new lens at some point.

8. Thanks shane shacaluga thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the review Dan. I will most likely replace my current "walk around" lens (70-300mm VR) with this one. Just wish they would have priced it closer to the 70-300mm!