Thread: Grey-crowned Rosy Finch

Gayle Clement

Default Grey-crowned Rosy Finch

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm hesitant to post after all of the incredible bird images in this new forum.

This is one of the three varities of rosy finches I photographed in New Mexico this past November.

Comments and critiques appreciated.

Nikon D2x
    Nikon 500/f4
    1/1000s f/4.0 at 500.0mm iso160
    Last edited by Gayle Clement; 01-05-2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add info

Axel Hildebrandt

No need to hesitate at all. It is a very nice image. The light seems a bit harsh and the bird is a bit too centered and I find the needles in front of the body a bit distracting. I would have preferred if the BG were more consistent, either blue or green tones. If you would have moved further to the left, maybe you would have gotten lucky and he would have faced you again. Keep them coming. Is this a heavy crop and could you post some techs?

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

Nice image, but it looks like you had some harsh lighting conditions. Some warm early or late light would really make this a winner. You might try a little S/H tool in PS to take down the highlights a touch and darken your background. Nice and sharp with good feather detail. Remember that we are all here to learn...I am a bit intimidated too. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Harsh light but nice subject. It seem as if the camera cought focus on the needles and the bird isnt as sharp as it should be... but this could just be my eyes. Thanx for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gayle
    I'll bet this was taken at Sandia Crest. It is a very difficult place to shoot as you either come when the light is harsh or more likely....there is no light. I'd say that you made the most of the shooting conditions up there. I would certainly try some different S/H or experiment with levels, curves, etc. as this is a nice bird to have. Also, as mentioned....some techs can be helpful.

Linda Robbins

I'm glad you jumped in and are posting images. Honest, constructive critiques are such a great way to improve our photography, and it is so great that fellow photographers take the time to comment and offer suggestions. Looking forward to seeing more of your images!

Linda

Jody Melanson

I'm glad you posted Gayle, beautiful image. The comp is good, the subject great and the BG, very nice. I modified your image and hope you don't mind. I lowered the Birghtness overall, then lightened the bird a tad and sharpened using Focus Magic.

Gayle Clement

Thanks, Jody. This looks terrific. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.