Thread: movement in canon IS tele lens

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default movement in canon IS tele lens

hello, i have noticed when i walk around with my lens and camera in the hand i sometimes feel a little movement inside the lens ??
    Is this normal , is it because how the IS stabilizer is mounted inside the lens ?? is this correct ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

its a clacking sound when i move the lens upside down or sidewise...or walking with it , i have seen on the internet somewhere that this normal . is someone else having this ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not me. Are you sure that your tripod is tightened up? I would un-mount the rig and gently shake it....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

which lens is that? My 70-200 f/2.8 MKII does shows this if I walk with the camera hanging around my neck or shoulder.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a 300mm f2.8 II , Arthur the rig is not on the tripod and when i shake the rig gently i hear nothing .
    Arash, Is it something to worry about do you think. ? My lens performs very good. Yesterday i don't hear it. Gr erik

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

it can also be the connection between the camera and lens ,that has a bit of play, that i feel when i walk around or move the rig , witch is normal i reckon ??

arash, what do you think is the movement in your lens ?
    Last edited by van bogaert erik; 06-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it's normal Eric. I didn't notice it with the 300II but I wasn't really carrying it around my shoulder that much. A little bit of play in the mount is normal.

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    I think it's normal Eric. I didn't notice it with the 300II but I wasn't really carrying it around my shoulder that much. A little bit of play in the mount is normal.
    is the sound on your 70-200 lens also from the mount you think ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Over time some play will develop between all lens mounts, cameras, lenses, and TCs. A lot depends on the treatment of the gear. That is one reason I advice folks not to travel with a camera attached to a lens, especially a big lens. I have had more than a few lens mounts replaced over the years.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The slight play in the mount is by design. It prevents the mount from shattering in case of impact.

Erik, I think the "click" is from the floating element (IS) when it is not powered

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The slight play in the mount is by design. It prevents the mount from shattering in case of impact.

Erik, I think the "click" is from the floating element (IS) when it is not powered
    Thanks, that is the case i tought also in the beginning, so nothing to worry about......and Arthur; when i travel by air i will disconnect.the camera but when i walk in the natur reserve where i live i leave it connected with the extender.and lens and in backpack but good protected . I think with a 500,600 or 800 the risk is greater to damage the mount .

Greetings
    Last edited by van bogaert erik; 06-24-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: mistake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That should have been "sometimes prevents...." :)
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 06-24-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by van bogaert erik View Post
    Thanks, that is the case i tought also in the beginning, so nothing to worry about......and Arthur; when i travel by air i will disconnect.the camera but when i walk in the natur reserve where i live i leave it connected with the extender.and lens and in backpack but good protected . I think with a 500,600 or 800 the risk is greater to damage the mount .

Greetings
    All good. Just be sure not to drop the backpack. I walk around with the lens on the tripod with the camera attached. No problem their as long as the thing does not hit the ground with force :).