Thread: Willet - head on

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Willet - head on

Attached Images Attached Images

Left the lab a bit early today and on an impulse drove 2 hours to Orlando, and then another hour to Merritt Island. The tide was high so there wasn't much going on in the water, but there seemed to be Willets flying everywhere. With the sun and wind at my back I got quite a few opportunities of these guys hovering around.

Shooting Info:
    Nikon D800 | 500 f/4 VR +1.4xiii
    1/2000" | f/7.1 | ISO 500

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice comp and I like the green at the bottom.

I'm seeing a bit of a green cast.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot coming front one....I have a whole collection of birds in flight with the opposite end lol Also like the greener band at the bottom of the backdrop as it helps break up would otherwise be too plain

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job catching this incoming Willet. Looks sharp enough but maybe could use some more color saturation or contrast to bive it a little more pop. Wish for a better HA as it gets lost a bit in the body. I like the two tone BG too. Well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job catching him head-on. Straight-on flight shots are very difficult for me to get. Agree with David and Mike's points. Only improvement would be the beak not intersecting with the body.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good work but for the beak being a bit lost as mentioned. Were there any that were hovering mad at you?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

great sharp incoming shot, this is a tough one. you did well
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.

Artie, I didn't get any of them coming mad at me, but I did get some open beak ones flying parallel to me. They were pretty loud at times calling at each other. I'll be posting one of those soon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Miguel. When they are flying at you they are usually mad but you may have been far enough from the nests as to not require any of their usual dive bombing. Been there, done that.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gotcha Artie. I didn't get any dive bombing. They would fly at each other a lot, and squawk quite a bit - but this was something you could see and hear from quite a ways away. It was interesting to watch, and I was lucky enough to be close to the action for some of it. Wish I would have gotten some flight interaction shots, but didn't get that opportunity.