Default Black Capped Chickadee

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D300
    300 2.8 VR
    f 3.2
    1/250
    ISO 1000

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hey there John and welcome! That’s a neat first post there. Mostly a slightly more head turn towards you would be nicer, but I kind of don’t mind in this case. A little bit of a shame about the two branches to the right-hand-side of the bill. The exposure seems about spot on too though!

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, John! Very nice pose. It would be even better without the two branches in front of him. The whites on the head look a bit overexposed. The BG is a bit noisy and I would prefer a perspective so the perch wouldn't cover a big part of the bird. Keep them coming.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent job on the exposure. I also wish for a bit more of a head turn.... and sometimes you just have to live with branches hehe :) Thanx for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    The head turn and branches have been mentioned. It looks like you didn't have much light given the techs so I'd say you did pretty well. At some point you might want just a little more DOF. The D300 should let you go higher with the ISO and of course you could also try some flash.

Linda Robbins

Welcome to BPN John!

You certainly got close to this little cutie! The exposure looks good to me, and the branches to the right and a more desirable head turn have been mentioned. If only our subjects would understand our preferences for perches, things would be a lot easier!
    With the low light, you could have used a bit of flash. Looking forward to seeing more of your images!

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and helpful feedback. I'm always learning and eager to improve my images!