Thread: Attracting Hummingbirds

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Attracting Hummingbirds

Looking for some thoughts. I have a hummingbird feeder in the back yard, hanging (from a tree) where we had lots of hummers visit last fall. So far this spring, we've seen none at all. Seems like the spring migration isn't happening in a big way out west of Houston but I know there are some nearby, having met another photographer who was getting nice shots of Ruby Throated hummers on flowers in the neighborhood over from us. I've actually replaced the feeder with a larger, more visible one but no luck so far. Is there anything else I can do to attract them into the yard where they might see the feeder? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Barry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Barry,
    I just saw my first one of the season yesterday and Ruby Throated, I also have about 6 feeders out.

We have also seen a HUGE decrease in Robins this year, our front field usually has 50-60 at a time but only got a few this year.

I am also curious as to why.

But I did read that they like a place with available water so I installed a neat Hummingbird water feeder/bather I found and hope it will help attract more. ;)

Good luck attracting more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Barry, I live in the woods so the shade doesn't produce a lot of flowers to attract hummingbirds. I found the most effective way to get them to come to my feeders is to put out hanging baskets with bright, preferably tubular flowers. The hummingbirds find that and then quickly find the feeder, and this allows me to hold onto them through the summer.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

You need something to attract their attention in the first place like flowers, shrubs, trees, etc., that they can feed on. Turk's Cap, Trumpetvine, Coral Honeysuckle, Cross Vine, Salvia sp., Firecracker, Shrimp Plant and Bottlebrush are all plants I use to attract them. Try visiting a nursery and asking them what is good for hummingbirds/butterflies and ask where it's best to plant (full sun, partial shade, full shade, protection from cold, etc). Having natural food sources like that will attract them in close enough where they'll notice the feeder and start visiting the ultimate nectar source. I recommend a red feeder so you do not have to add red food coloring as there's debate on the coloring's affect on them. You see more in the fall because the numbers are augmented by all of the juve birds migrating south as well. Good luck!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with what has already been posted. I saw one checking out my flowers in the rain yesterday so I went and got him a feeder, now he is at the feeder every 15 minutes or so.