Thread: Need Help With Pixel Math

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Need Help With Pixel Math

This topic always confuses me. Can someone help with the pixel math comparing the 1D IV--16mp with the APS-H sensor size and the accompanying 1.3 crop factor with the 5D Mark III--22.3mp with a full frame sensor.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks David Stephens thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you'd need 27 megapixels on a 5D3 to get the same pixel density of a Mark IV.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Doug but I need someone to show me how to go the math :).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie
    5DIII has sensor size 36x24 (mm) --> area 864mm2
    1DMkiv has sensor size 27.9x18.6 --> area 518.94mm2

Area of 5DIII covered by the on sensor image size of the 1DMkIV is 518.94/864 --> 60.0625% of the 5DIII sensor ( or a 1/0.060625 = 1.664932x factor) . So that's the percentage of the sensor area that will have to have the same pixel density as the MkIV, except we have to figure out what the overall sensor must be....

Now we will force the 5DIII to have the same pixel density as the MkIV but in the larger sensor area:

1D MkIV is 4896x3264 pixels --> 15,980,544 pixels

15,980,544 * 1.664932 --> 26.606535 MP sensor for the 5DIII would be required to achieve the pixel density from the smaller/higherMP APS-H 1DMkIV image area projected onto the new 5DIII sensor.

So, 26.6MP (rounding up, as Doug has done, yields 27MP)

Don
    Last edited by Don Nelson; 05-10-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

easy way: multiple 1D4 Mpixel by crop factor squared i.e. 16X 1.3 X 1.3 = 27

if you want more accurate results (because manufacturers round up mega pixels) use ( 5D3 pixel pitch/ 1D4 pixel pitch) ^ 2 X 100 = (6.08 um / 5.6 um) ^ 2 x100 ~ 118%. i.e. 1D4 has 18% more pixel density.

What do you want to use this number for anyway?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

the lottery! excellent math skills fellas!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    easy way: multiple 1D4 Mpixel by crop factor squared i.e. 16X 1.3 X 1.3 = 27

if you want more accurate results (because manufacturers round up mega pixels) use ( 5D3 pixel pitch/ 1D4 pixel pitch) ^ 2 X 100 = (6.08 um / 5.6 um) ^ 2 x100 ~ 118%. i.e. 1D4 has 18% more pixel density.

What do you want to use this number for anyway?
    Thanks Don and Arash. Why the question? Folks are constantly asking if they should switch from a 1D IV to a 5D III. So it seems that pixels on the subject (which is directly related to the pixel math (at least as I understand it) is an important part of that equation....

Is this statement correct: the pixels on the subject advantage fir the 1D IV over the 5D III is 22.7% ? (5/22)

I do realize that there are many other factors involved. I will start another thread in Gear and post that link here?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: not everyone can afford a 1 D X. That leads to another question: now that the 5D III AFs at f/8, which is a better camera for photographing perched or standing birds, the 1D X or the 5D III? Which is a better value? Those questions obviously must consider the roughly 37.5% pixel advantage and the vastly lower price of the 5D III....

Arash, do you own a 5D III?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Don and Arash. Why the question? Folks are constantly asking if they should switch from a 1D IV to a 5D III. So it seems that pixels on the subject (which is directly related to the pixel math (at least as I understand it) is an important part of that equation....

Is this statement correct: the pixels on the subject advantage fir the 1D IV over the 5D III is 22.7% ? (5/22)

I do realize that there are many other factors involved. I will start another thread in Gear and post that link here?
    nope

First of all it is 18% not 22.

secondly, resolution does not correlate to pixel on the subjects linearly. If you want to increase resolution let say from 50 lpm to 100 lpm you need to double pixel density in both x and y meaning you will have to quadruple the number of pixels, i.e. go from 20Mpicxel to 40Mpixel. a 18% increase in pixel density is only 9% increase in resolution.

can you make a careful test to show the difference? yes

does it make a meaningful difference in the field? no in my experience.

I did own a 5D3 but I recently sold it because I had not touched since getting the 1DX.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 05-11-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat subject. Arash is spot on. BTW, did you mean 20 Mpx to 80 Mpx?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pixel density = 16/(27.9*18.6) = 0.031Mpixels/mm2 for 1DV
    Pixel density = 22.3/(36x24) = 0.026 Mpixels/mm2 for 5D3

1DV has 5/26 advantage in terms of pixel density or ~ 18%. Same answer as Arash's calculations, but may be easier to explain why there is the square factor.

The 1.3 crop factor comes from 36/27.9 = 1.3
    and 24/18.6 = 1.3.

Thus the pixel density calculation is proportional to the square of the crop factor.

I didn't think clearly myself until going thru the calculation and read the comments above.

So, may be I should run out and buy a used copy of the 1DV before it all disappear after your blog, Artie :)

Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Palaviccini View Post
    Neat subject. Arash is spot on. BTW, did you mean 20 Mpx to 80 Mpx?
    yes 80 sorry

Visit my blog