Thread: Spoonbill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spoonbill

Attached Images Attached Images

Not in flight as we've seen on some recent (and great!) posts, but instead showing off the neck :) I'm not sure of the purpose of this pose, but I saw it 3-4 times in the span of 15 minutes.

There were two at Little Estero Lagoon yesterday morning, but only this one was active. The other had it's bill in it's back feathers, just hanging out. I got a couple of nice still shots, but was really looking for some sort of action ... and this was it! I tried a couple of different shooting heights handheld (didn't bring the tripod with me) and decided on this one. The camera was on a DIY frisbee pod, and my belly was in some pretty smelly mud. All worth it. For some reason, I'm really liking the blue stripe across the bg.

Added canvas to the top and left and took some off the right and bottom. Cloned out a small branch next to the feet as well. Used the liquefy tool to bring down one of the "horizon lines" as it made it look like it needed a CW tilt, even though the water shows otherwise.

Shooting Info:
    D800 | 500 f/4
    1/1600" | f/6.3 | ISO 400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Miguel, Very deep color on that spoon. I see that head strech a lot if you can get them to wake up. I wish his neck was a little whiter, but its a nice capture.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice colors & good exposure on the spoonbill Miguel. I like the low POV and the clean BG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic pose and low angle. I love the light and darker BG, very nice Miguel. The vertical crop works very nicely here.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice image,like the pose,sharp with good detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Miguel, interesting pose - looks cool, and posed against a lovely layered BG. The light does look soft, and overall, the spoonie is well exposed. I feel your comp has turned out perfectly, just enough space in all the right places.