Thread: Back lit trumpeter on black

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Back lit trumpeter on black

Attached Images Attached Images

This fellow was imaged yesterday at the local bird sanctuary. I was facing the opposite direction shooting down the sun angle, when I heard the ruckus behind me, spun around and took a few quick shots. One of the benefits of shooting hand held!

D4 500 AFS f/5.6 1/3200s ISO 500

Post: Small crop from top and right. Detail extractor to pull out a bit more from the darks on face,belly. Selective sharpening.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

What do you think about the bright white reflection? Too much, too distracting, or acts as and anchor to the water?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a pitty the head cuts through the leading wing edge and that there is little light on the the face and lower body parts. I think the image might have worked if the bird had taken a good bath to clean up before taking off. It is however a good catch and I do like images of birds taken using difficult light conditions , especially where the BG becomes black with the exposure...but in my view all elements have to be perfect for the image to work well. You have nailed the bird well with sharpness, wing position and also nailed the bird's determination. The reflection is nothing to worry about in my view , all perfectly natural and to be expected. Just in case you think I am harsh you have nailed a swan's take off better than I have

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Randy,
    I love back lit white or pink birds.
    The translucent wing is beautiful, it's tact sharp and you nailed the exposure.
    IMO the bird's head lower in the wing or above the body would make this a stronger image.

I would prefer this image without the reflection or possibly a full refection.

This is a thinking photographers image!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy Sir:
    Superb image of trumpeter.Black lit wings and tails feathers are looking beautiful.Tack sharp bird,nice black BG and composition.
    Love the frame.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice backlit shot of this Swan. I like the dark BG and the splash of water. Well done

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Backlight is well captured Randy, and looks extra nice against the dark backdrop.....I feel it would be a little nicer if the head was just a bit brighter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, the backlighting through the far wing works well against the darker BG, and yes, a better head position in relation to the far wing would have been first prize. Im fine with white reflection as presented, but since he is taking off up into the frome, taking a bit off the bottom will work, and add a touch to the top, with more to fly into.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I totally get what you were going for here, Randy, and it was quick thinking and could have been great. The far wing looks so awesome, and the near wing, head position in relation to wing and reflection not so much.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone so much for your input.

I agree about the critiques, and had reservations about posting it for those reasons, but I felt it was visually striking enough to be worth a go. I have a few others from that sequence, some with better head position, but the far wing was the most striking on this one, and that contrast of white on black is what struck me when I first reviewed the files.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, great in all counts. Love to reflection, giving it a more interesting feel to the shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Thanks everyone so much for your input.

I agree about the critiques, and had reservations about posting it for those reasons,

Cheers

Randy
    That's why we post.