Thread: anybody shoot Ft Desoto lately

Randy Rimland

Default anybody shoot Ft Desoto lately

I'm thinking about a 10hr drive tomorrow (from Charlotte) but I'd hate to get there and it be slow
    I know the temps will be hard (it was 38 here last night and 86 in st Pete tomorrow)

thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was at the Fort last week when the sun was still out and we had beautiful light (sunset). Tomorrow is supposed to be high 80's and partial clouds but clearing up by sunset.
    The tidal pools on the North Beach section is nice as well as the pier, with a number of species still working their way through.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is always something there to find. Its what you make of it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is always something to photograph at North Beach but it's been a tad slower lately than normal b/c of the odd and high winds. That is coming from someone who lives nearby though. I would imagine that you would be extremely happy with the birds out here. The marbled godwits are fairly numerous right now and accessible. The long-billed curlew is seen almost every day. Many terns (mating) and laughing gulls in breeding plumage also mating. Saw the reddish egret in full breeding plumes a few days ago.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm a New Yorker, just back from that area and had an absolute blast. Found everything that Marina said, plus others. I am just not used to having so many cooperative subjects that I took far too many pictures. If you can work it out with Capt James Shadle, do it. Time spent with him was productive and fun!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just went to Ft. DeSoto Park yesterday,(5-3-13) and With Marina's great info the night before, found Black-bellied Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones, Oystercatchers, White Ibis, Snowy Egrets, Brown Pelicans, Ospreys, Red-winged Blackbirds and a Reddish Egret.. All were found at North and East Beaches. I did not even go by the Mulberry Tree..

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As I wrote in the Fort DeSoto Site Guide, "Fort Desoto is about the only bird photography spot in North America that has the potential to be great 365 days out of each year. Randy, did you go?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.