Thread: Long Tailed Duck (Oldsquaw) Flight Shot

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long Tailed Duck (Oldsquaw) Flight Shot

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a decent flight shot of Long Tailed Duck.

Maxis Gamez

Hello Larry,

The image looks overexpose, the composition could be better as you main subject is dead centered and the light looks harsh. However, I think you did an excellent job capturing your subject with the wings up.

Keep posting, I want to see more of your work.

Thanks!

Robert Amoruso

Your right Larry, it is a decent flight shot. My suggestions for improvement include cropping from the rear and bottom to get the bird out of the center of the frame, taking care of the hot whites in the neck. See this thread for info on taming whites: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=834.

I looks a bit soft so more sharpening is needed. Just sharpen the bird, not the water. Your angle of light could be better. When I am flight shooting, I will concentrate on those opportunities that have my shadow facing the bird and up to 15 or 20 degrees off light direction in the direction the bird is coming from. Looking forward to seeing more.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Nice flight action with well positioned wings. I am not keen on the centering and the light though, also a little small in the frame. However, overall I would still be happy if this shot were mine.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very fine flight image. I agree with the cropping suggestions.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would agree with cropping sugestions but to me this seems like its already been cropped a lot... But this could only be me. Nice catch nonetheless.