Thread: Brown hare

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 7D canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC Mk1 ISO 1250 +0.3 1/500 sec f5.6
    This was taken this morning, I think Morkel mentioned UK sunshine - well it's gone! May get lucky tomorrow morning, I think there is going to be about 2-3hr sunshine then that's it, more rain and cloud for the next 5 days.
    The male or Jack as we call them appears to have an ulcer on his rear left leg.
    What do you think about the Jill - would you have cropped her out is she too soft/OOF, or does she complete the picture?
    All comments welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jonathan

I think I would leave her in, as I think its as you might expect to see them in the wild and there is enough detail in the Doe to make her more than a distracting brown blob.. I am having thoughts that this may be a little tight on the top, however I am not convinced. ( when critiquing its easy to do the scroll bar crop but its a little more difficult to do a mental 'add canvas'...).

DON

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan - I think it works well with both of them in. Nice low pov and pleasing complementary tones to the bg. I hope you have good luck tomorrow.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, the crop works well with the action, and keep Jill in!!!!!

Just check your WB, you may also look at dropping or adjusting the Red too either in RAW or PS. Now I could be wrong and way off as I'm on the laptop, back tomorrow. Not sure if this helps, but I think you can see the direction I hope. Just tone down the grass stem to left of him too. Might have gone to f/4 for a tad more SS. If you have applied a little NR I might just ease off a fraction, especially if you are running over Jack
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve - how does this grab you?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I will take a 'Rain check' until tomorrow Jonathan, I will then be back to a calibrated monitor then, but if you get info on the colour breakdown, the Red & Yellow is quite high.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose from the front hare and the OOF one in the BG works nicely. Repost is an improvement still a little orange but better.

9. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,
    all in all love the image in all terms.
    great expression and caught action.
    great low POV and crop.
    i think Steve`s RP is the way to go for color.

TFS Andreas

11. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,

Love both in the image. Jill is cute :))
    The color try to get a grip of the color of Steve's RP.
    Just pull Steve's image into PS as well and toggle between yours and Steve's to get close to it. But watch it that you do not adjust at the end Steve's image

Have a great eve

Ciao
    Anette

13. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Jonathan, as with the general consensus i too like the OOF Hare in. Comp and POV is great and very pleasing. Colour wise a little too red in your OP and your RP however your RP is better, i would probably look at something Between your RP and Steves.

15. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice low angle here Jonathan, and I like the OOF one behind.
    I would also suggest getting the colour somewhere between Steve's and your repost.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much for the comments everyone, I appreciate your input. The penny has finally dropped and now I have fully realised how and why I can correct the image with more understanding rather than on a wing and a prayer.
    The image contains a lot of green so not surprisingly the Tint in ACR is pushed over toward magenta, in this image I have reduced the amount of magenta and I think this is closer to what Steve suggested. I could just possibly have gone a tad further.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, as I have said before, getting the WB looking right is the key and rarely do I change the Tint, you can balance it out later with regard to Yellows, Reds, blues etc within the RAW conversion, or in PS, but best in RAW as you are dealing with the RAW, not a TIFF which then has pixels. Now back and on a calibrated monitor mine does look a little washed out, your second RP to me looks about spot on, albeit a slight drop in the yellow & red, but perhaps just a fraction and all personal taste, so second version gets my vote. Don't forget, you can be selective with any part of the image with adjustment layers and masks.

If in doubt Jon, drop me a line and we can have a chat.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great low angle Jonathan. Your last repost looks best to me and I have to admit I am excited that I first noticed a magenta cast which means I am getting better at the whole color cast thing. I struggle with spotting it right away. I think the image works.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Molennor View Post
    Great low angle Jonathan. Your last repost looks best to me and I have to admit I am excited that I first noticed a magenta cast which means I am getting better at the whole color cast thing. I struggle with spotting it right away. I think the image works.
    Cheryl, I think it is a case of having a mindset concerning colour. I have to admit that my first reaction to a raw file is to check the exposure levels and highlights contrast etc, I often forget to check colour temp of Hue etc. I will try in future to make this a primary concern.
    I attach the location of an interesting tool. It is a colour Hue test and it takes a few minutes to complete, it will determine for you just how accurate your colour perception is. I was very surprised when I did it, first time I scored well, I then left it for a couple of days and then I repeated it and I got the perfect score....... I haven't gone back since because I don't want to score less!!
    http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77&Lang=en

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great link -- thanks! Almost as much challenge as a Rubik's cube!

It probably scores your monitor as much as you.

I find Steve's repost dealt with the color cast the best.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 04-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.