Thread: Eurasian Robin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eurasian Robin

Photo taken in my garden from pop-up hide.
    Canon 1D IV with 300mm f/2.8L non IS + x2 extender

1/400
    f/8
    ISO 1600
    Levels in CS6
    slight noise reduction in Neat Image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet little bird.
    Nice POV and the bird looks really good IQ-wise.
    The eye is crystal clear as well.
    The main issue with this image is the busy BG. If not against your ethics I would clone out the OOF vertical branch that intersects with the body and the one in front of him as well.
    If this is a setup I would also look for a prettier perch with a clean BG,
    Gail

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Robin sharpness, light, fine detail and head angle to camera is very good...lovely clear eye, but it does seem a little cluttered with distracting sticks etc. I think I can see a crumb of something on the stonework placed to attract him, so now if you do same on a nicer perch and backdrop it would be extra nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice and sharp bird with great light and good eye contact. Others have mentioned the perch and the sticks in the BG. If those and the white spots (food?) on the perch were cleaned up, it would take it up a notch. Overall a nice image. Keep up the great work!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Piotr,

Agree with Gail. Since you are using a blind.....don't be afraid to put a nice perch (log, stick, etc.) on top of where the bird is currently standing. Make a small grove on the slight backslope where you can place the feed. Position your blind so that you can get a cleaner BG or place an artificial BG in front of the brush such as a painted bed sheet or even a large OOF printed image of a clean BG. I personally think you can reposition yourself and even prone some of the BG so that you get a nicer backdrop once you are in the blind. Takes a bit of pre-planning...but will make your life when you are in the blind much easier! Just some thoughts for you to try out.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all replies. I really appreciate your feedback. I've just finished making a perch, so hoping for some nice shots. My garden is a bit limiting in terms of DOF, but we'll see what will come out of the camera:)
    Piotr.