Thread: For the love of a duck

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default For the love of a duck

I've told the story before, but many here may not have heard it. Before the holidays I was watching and photographing a pair of mallards. The male had what appeared to be a broken wing, but was foraging and swimming just fine. His mate wouldn't leave his side and I have several images of her "standing guard over him. She even caught a fish and was brining it to him when a gull came and snatched it away.

I decided that a dedicated duck like her deserved a special close up. I was going for something intimate and creative on this shot.

All I did was a tiny crop as it was almost full frame already, plus a bit of sharpening and a curves adjustment for contrast.

Full EXIF Info Date/Time18-Dec-2007 14:49:11 MakeNikon ModelNIKON D300 Flash UsedNo Focal Length600 mm Exposure Time1/250 sec Aperturef/6.3 ISO Equivalent400
    Last edited by Jim Poor; 01-05-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Edited to lower file size

George DeCamp

I like this a lot! The image has a lot going for it, the feather detail, the colors and then there's that eye...sweet and no nits!!!

Maxis Gamez

A work of art Jim. I wish to see less sharpening but that's about it.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Superb image Jim! There is no comparison to the duck love story either. Very sweet.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Wonderful image Jim and the cropping really makes it oustanding along with the eye just pearing out and the excellent detail. Thanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt

I remember the story and still like the composition. The plumage looks a bit noisy, maybe you can sharpen it a little less.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice tight portrait (if you can call it that?). I like the composition.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.
    I wonder if the noisy look comes from the fact that I had to use a quality setting of "3" to get it down below the 150Kb.
    I also didn't start over from the tif when I went from 750 to 800 pixels as I didn't think such a small change would make a difference :(