Thread: ? Bird photographing opportunities in Alaska in August

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default ? Bird photographing opportunities in Alaska in August

I am planning a trip in Alaska in early of August, and will have stays in Denali NP, Seward, maybe Homer, and Valdez. Would you please give me some suggestion for birding places for bald eagle, snowy owl (possible??) or any other birds and wild animals? Is the Chilkat Valley at Haines good for bald eagle birding at August?

Thanks. If I put this thread in wrong place, please let me know.

A belt kingfisher just enjoyed lunch, so I had a short time to get very close to him/her.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a male Belted Kingfisher -- the female has a rusty belt.

Good luck in your trip in August to Alaska. Be sure to take a good jacket - it will be starting to get cold. You should be seeing the plants turning and the Larches turning if late in the month.

To get to Snowy Owls, you will have to get a flight to the north slope. The places you mention won't normally have them. But who knows? Check the the lists of rare bird sightings during August --> http://birding.aba.org/maillist/AK01. A SNOW in this area would definitely make the rare bird alert during August.

Eagles in Chilkat River? - you'll see a few. But the huge concentrations occur during winter.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Don.