Thread: Kestrel Taking Off

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kestrel Taking Off

Attached Images Attached Images

The picture was created in February 2007 in Sierra Valley in the Sierra Nevada north of Lake Tahoe. Thanks for looking! JR

Canon 30D, 400F5.6, 1/1000s, F8, ISO-200, EC 0, Av mode, Evaluative Metering, Late Afternoon Light

Robert Amoruso

Thanks for posting John. You captured a beautiful bird and great action. I would have like to have the head turned more towards you though. I can see that the light is coming from you right. Though I am not apposed to sidelight and with a head turn here, I think the head will still have been in the light, you generally want to have your shadow facing the bird.

Expose looks good. I would like a more room to the right and less on top. Looking forward to more.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    Overall the image is pleasant...warm colors, beautiful bird, details and smooth BG. A head turn would have been nice but it's a very presentable image as is.

Alfred Forns

John since you have a subject which you can move Try getting to your light angle before making the image Will have a drastic improvement

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the helpful comments. You're of course all correct with the light angle. Don't remember why I didn't reposition myself. Probably was worried that it would take off.

Best, JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, John. I like the action you've captured. Kestrals are notoriously difficult to approach, so you did well to get off a shot before he was gone. The others have given you great advice.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.