Thread: Ft. De Soto Park Visit March 9 and 10th

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ft. De Soto Park Visit March 9 and 10th

Hi Folks,
    I am planing to visit Fort De Soto this coming weekend (March 9 and 10). Would anyone familiar with this park be able to point me to the best areas to photograph birds? I've read in a few posts and other places that the north beach is the best. What are your suggestions? Where to park? What to expect?

Thanks in advanced for your ideas! Looking forward to seeing and meeting you if you happen to be there as well!

Andres

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andres:

The best place for sunrise is East Beach. After you get past the guard house (where you pay a $5 fee if you get there after 6:40 or so), you take a left at the T and go all the way to the end. You will see the Skyway bridge and behind it the sun will rise and you can find some very nice sunrises opps.

After sunrise and maybe some shorebird photography, the best places to go are North beach which is at the opposite end of where you are about 3 miles or so to the other end. The first place you will want to try is the North Beach Lagoon which is just behind the concession area at the 2nd parking lot from the end. You'll see the concession area and bathrooms there. The lagoon is just behind it. The long-billed curlew and reddish egret and morph often hangout there. If you go around the lagoon out to the gufl, you will find many terns, gull and ruddy turnstones.

The next stop would be either walking all the way north (right) to the North Beach Marsh or driving...just a long parking lot away. You can park at the far end and walk over the small foot bridge. From there just follow the birds or other photographers.

Good luck and happy shooting.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much, Marina! Is the park accessible before sunrise?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes it is.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent! Thanks again for your feedback! Have you heard of a place in Sarasota called the Celery Fields? I had never heard of that place until someone mentioned it on a facebook post.