Thread: Landscape Image of the Week for the week ending January 18th, 2013: Steve Uffman - Serengeti On Fire I

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Landscape Image of the Week for the week ending January 18th, 2013: Steve Uffman - Serengeti On Fire I

Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Steve!

I continue to grind away on my images from 3 weeks in East Africa from August. Good news is we have had 3 straight weeks of heavy rain here at home. so post processing is about all I can do.......(but that also is the bad news as the bald eagle's eggs in our area have hatched and I am dying to get our into the basin with my camera ..this rain has got to stop!).

Anyway, in mid August, the rangers were conducting controlled burning of the savannah in Northern Serengeti and the Lamaii Wedge while we were there. While taking images of animals on blackened ground is not my favorite, some of the atmospheric shots were pretty neat.

This is one that was a huge wall of smoke that covered the sky making the area seem surreal, almost as it we were witnessing a partial eclipse of the sun. The smoke was thick and as the sun tried its best to peer through produced some interesting colors and textures IMO.

As far as animals, one Thomson gazelle walked right into the brightest beam of light peering through the clouds

http://blackpearl.smugmug.com/Landsc...g7tr2&lb=1&s=A for a full size view of the image which is better as the Thomson gazelle is more visible..

1dx 70-200l II ss 1/2500 f/6.3 ISO 400 handheld

LR4, CS6, NIK cfex 4

c & c welcome

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very evocative image Steve.
    Well done...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE