Thread: Orlando in March

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Orlando in March

Similar to another post, I'm also coming to Orlando but earlier - the week of March 11. I'll probably get 1 day to visit a birding site - is the best option Gatorland or somewhere else? My brother-in-law lives on Merritt Island so that could work also, but I want to take the best shot (no pun intended) for birds coming from Orlando that week. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Barry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Are you more interested in birds or bird photography? How badly do you want nesting birds verses non-nesting birds? Do you have any tarket birds?
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

3. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina,

Bird photography is the objective. I get alot of egrets, herons, and ibises here in the Houston area so different species would be nice. I would love to get eagles if possible. My lens is the Canon 400mm f5.6 and I also have the Canon EX 1.4 III TC. Thanks for your help!

Barry

Forum Participant
    Thank You Posts

There's always something at Merritt Island but it can be slim pickings. 3 hours south, Wakodahatchee is great right now. If that's not in the cards, I vote for Gatorland. I haven't been there this season but going next Sunday.

6. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would go to Gatorland which is quite busy and they have early open and late close just for photographers Thursday through Sunday. I think you might also enjoy Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland which isn't too far from there. As Mike mentioned, Merritt isn't too good right now...although sometimes it can change very quickly. You would also enjoy a day at Fort Desoto Park on North Beach.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

8. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    ...I would go to Gatorland which is quite busy and they have early open and late close just for photographers Thursday through Sunday...
    I'd agree. Gatorland is very photographer friendly these days with early entry, or late stay, or both. The nesting, breeding, etc. started earlier than usual this year and there is a lot of activity and variety. If you're only down here for a limited time that's your best bet. 400mm, esp. with a 1.4 is a big gun for Gatorland. Some of the nests will be less than 20 feet away. I was there a few days ago and wished I had my 70-200...really. Have fun!

10. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Forgot to mention that it's usually helpful to bring an extension tube with you b/c witih a 400mm there may be times you are much too close to photograph with a tube.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

12. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gatorland is s great choice and if you have the time drive across the state and go to Ft desoto even when its slow I have been able to come away with nice images.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

14. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I haven't been to Orlando Wetlands this year, but it's fairly close to Merritt Island and has produced in the past. Viera Wetlands might be another option.

16. Thanks Barry Ekstrand thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to everyone for the great input, it is very much appreciated. I have never used an extension tube with a long lens, I think I'll just make sure to bring my Canon 24-105 f4L and Tamron 70-300 just in case. Thanks again!